No. 7 Men's Tennis Downs No. 23 Cal, 6-1
Feb. 27, 2009
LOS ANGELES - The No. 7 UCLA men's tennis team snapped its three-match losing streak on Friday, posting a 6-1 victory over No. 23 Cal at the Los Angeles Tennis Center. The Bruins, who were facing their fifth top 25 opponent in a row, improve to 7-3 on the season. Cal drops to 3-4 overall.
The Bruins turned in possibly their best doubles performance of the season on Friday, taking wins on all three courts for the first time this year. UCLA even posted an upset at court No. 1, where Haythem Abid and Nick Meister downed 24th-ranked Geoff Chizever/Pedro Zerbini, 7-6(4).
UCLA continued its dominance in singles, taking three consecutive straight-set wins to clinch the match. After Michael Look (court No. 3) and Abid (court No. 1) cruised to victories at their respective courts, Meister clinched the win at court No. 5, downing Chizever, 6-4, 6-2.
The Bruins actually moved out to a 6-0 lead following two more wins by Matt Brooklyn (court No. 2) and Holden Seguso (court No. 4). Seguso dropped an extremely close first set tiebreaker against Bozhidar Katsarov before rallying for a 6-7(10), 6-2, (10-3) win.
Cal's lone point on the afternoon came in the last match of the day at court No. 6, as Thai Tu outlasted Bruin sophomore Amit Inbar, 7-5, 1-6, 7-5.
Friday's match does not count in the Pac-10 standings, as the conference match between the two teams will be on March 28 in Berkeley.
UCLA hosts one of its biggest matches of the year tomorrow, as No. 5 Stanford visits the LATC for a 1:00 p.m. showdown.
1. Abid/Meister (UCLA) def. (24) Chizever/Pedro Zerbini (Cal) - 7-6(4)
2. Brooklyn/Look (UCLA) def. Dahan/Heavey (Cal) - 8-3
3. Inbar/ Harel Srugo (UCLA) def. Katsarov/Kallim Stewart (Cal) - 8-1
UCLA Wins Doubles Point - Order of Finish: 3, 2, 1
1. (74) Haythem Abid (UCLA) def. Eoin Heavey (Cal) - 7-6(4), 6-1
2. (52) Matt Brooklyn (UCLA) def. Jonathan Dahan (Cal) - 6-3, 6-3
3. (93) Michael Look (UCLA) def. Nick Andrews (Cal) - 6-3, 6-3
4. Holden Seguso (UCLA) def. Bozhidar Katsarov (Cal) - 6-7(10), 6-2, (10-3)
5. Nick Meister (UCLA) def. Geoff Chizever (Cal) - 6-4, 6-2*
6. Thai Tu (Cal) def. Amit Inbar (UCLA) - 7-5, 1-6, 7-5
* Denotes Clinching Match -- Order of Finish: 3, 1, 5, 2, 4, 6
TOMORROW | 12:00pm PTLive