Men's Tennis Completes Weekend Sweep With 4-3 Win Over No. 7 UCLA
Feb. 28, 2009
LOS ANGELES, Calif. - The No. 5 Stanford men's tennis team completed a weekend sweep of the Los Angeles Pac-10 teams, defeating No. 7 UCLA, 4-3, this afternoon in the City of Angels.
The Cardinal captured the doubles point with wins by senior Matt Bruch and his partner freshman Ryan Thacher, along with the No. 28-ranked pair of senior Blake Muller and junior Richard Wire. UCLA was able to steal the third match to finish, preventing the doubles sweep.
The Bruins tied it up with a victory at No. 3 singles, and got the go-ahead point at No. 6 singles. Klahn then leveled things with a 6-3, 6-4 defeat of No. 52 Matt Brooklyn. UCLA went up 3-2 after Nick Meister won at the No. 5 position, but sophomore No. 13 Alex Clayton kept the fight going, tying it three-all by winning over No. 74 Hayhem Abid, 7-6(8), 7-5 in the top slot.
Senior Matt Bruch was credited with winning the clinching point and was the hero for the Cardinal. Bruch took the first set 6-4, and was thwarted from winning in straight-sets by Holden Seguso 7-6 (2) in the second set. Then, down 4-3 in the third set, Bruch battled back to take the set, crushing Seguso in the seven-point tiebreaker, 7-6(0).
Stanford (now 10-1 overall) will return to competition quickly, as it will take on No. 60 BYU at home weather permitting, Monday, March 2 at 1 p.m. at the Taube Family Tennis Stadium. The match against the Cougars has already been postponed once and was originally scheduled to be played on Feb. 6.
February 28, 2009 - Los Angeles, Calif.
No. 5 Stanford 4, No. 7 UCLA 3
1) Bruch/Thacher (STAN) d. Abid/Meister (UCLA) 8-3
2) No. 28 Muller/Wire (STAN) d. Brooklyn/Look (UCLA) 8-4
3) Inbar/ Harel Srugo (UCLA) d. Ted Kelly/Klahn (STAN) 8-5
Order of Finish: 1, 2, 3
1) No. 13 Alex Clayton (STAN) d. No. 74 Haythem Abid (UCLA) 7-6(8), 7-5
2) No. 47 Bradley Klahn (STAN) d. No. 52 Matt Brooklyn (UCLA) 6-3, 6-4
3) No. 93 Michael Look (UCLA) d. Ryan Thacher (STAN) 6-1, 6-4
4) Matt Bruch (STAN)d. Holden Seguso (UCLA) 6-4, 6-7(2), 7-6(0)*
5) Nick Meister (UCLA) d. No. 117 Richard Wire (STAN) 7-6, 6-4
6) Amit Inbar (UCLA) d. Blake Muller (STAN) 6-3, 6-3
Order of Finish: 3, 6, 2, 5, 1, 4*
*denotes clinching point
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
Fri 8/18 | 3:00pm PTLive
Fri 8/18 | 5:00pm PTLive
Fri 8/18 | 7:00pm PTLive