No. 35 Arizona Tops No. 42 Fresno State, 4-3
Feb. 28, 2009
The Arizona men's tennis team has done it again. After losing the doubles point, and the first two singles matches, they came roaring back to beat the No. 42 Fresno State Bulldogs 4-3.
The Wildcats (9-1) ran their match win streak to seven by showing that same fight they did against No. 26 Texas Tech last week, when they came back from being down 3-0 to win the match.
With their backs to the wall, the remaining Wildcats fought back to win the remaining four matches. Every single match that Arizona win went into the third set, with the Wildcats prevailing in every match.
Jay Goldman defeated Rudolf Siwy 2-6, 6-4, 6-4 position #1, Andres Arango defeated Mirko Zapletal 6-2, 5-7, 7-6 (8-6) in position #2, Ravid Hazi defeated Veerepalli (6-3, 4-6, 7-5 in position #4 and Jason Zafiros defeated Siddharth Alapati 6-1, 4-6, 6-3. On the season, Zafiros is 10-0.
Arizona will be in action again on Friday March 6, when the take on New Mexico State University at 1:00 p.m. The match will be played at the Tucson Racquet Club.
Doubles: 1) Rudlof Siwy/ Mirko Zapletal (FSU) def. Ravid Hazi/Francois VanderMerwe (UA) 8-4
2) Rikus de Villiers/Remi Boutillier (FSU) def. Andres Arango/Andres Carrasco (UA) 9-7(7-5)
3) Jay Goldman/Pat Metham (UA) def. Tejesvi Veerepalli/ Taylor Libey (FSU) 8-5
1) Jay Goldman (UA) def. Rudolf Siwy (FSU) 2-6, 6-4, 6-4
2) Andres Arango (UA) def. Mirko Zapletal (FSU) 6-2, 5-7, 7-6 (8-6)
3) Rikus de Villiers (FSU) def. Andres Carrasco (UA) 6-1, 6-6 default
4) Ravid Hazi (UA) def. Tejesvi Veerepalli (FSU) 6-3, 4-6, 7-5
5) Remi Boutillier (FSU) def. Pat Metham (UA) 6-2, 7-5
6) Jason Zafiros (UA) def. Siddharth Alapati (FSU) 6-1, 4-6, 6-3
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TODAY | 7:00pm PTLive
TOMORROW | 3:00pm PTLive
TOMORROW | 5:00pm PTLive