Stanford Edges UCLA, 4-3 in Men's Tennis
Feb. 28, 2009
LOS ANGELES - In a showdown that lasted over five hours, the fifth-ranked Stanford men's tennis team outlasted No. 7 UCLA, 4-3 on Saturday afternoon at the Los Angeles Tennis Center. With the loss, UCLA falls to 7-4 on the season, while Stanford improves to 10-1. It marks the first victory for the Cardinal on UCLA's home courts since the 2003 season.
With the dual match deadlocked at 3-3, Saturday's contest was eventually decided at court No. 4, where Stanford senior Matt Bruch defeated Holden Seguso. After dropping the first set 6-4, Seguso battled back to take the second set in a tiebreaker. In the third, Seguso served for the match up 5-4, however Bruch managed to break and then hold for a 6-5 lead. Serving to stay in the match, Seguso fought off five match points in the 12th game to send it to a third-set tiebreaker. Although he failed to capitalize on his earlier match points, Bruch played a superb tiebreaker, winning at love to give the Cardinal the 4-3 win. Despite the loss, it was a courageous effort by Seguso, who is slowly transitioning back into the lineup while coming back from injury.
UCLA's three points on the day came from singles wins by Michael Look (court No. 3), Nick Meister (court No. 5) and Amit Inbar (court No. 6). Probably the best performance of the afternoon was turned in by Look, how dominated Stanford's star freshman Ryan Thacher, winning 6-1, 6-4. Look has yet to fall in a dual match this season, posting a perfect 7-0 singles record.
Next up for UCLA is a showdown with No. 4 USC next Wednesday at the Marks Tennis Stadium on the campus of USC.
1. Bruch/Thacher (Stan) def. Abid/Meister (UCLA) - 8-3
2. (28) Muller/Wire (Stan) def. Brooklyn/Look (UCLA) - 8-4
3. Inbar/ Harel Srugo (UCLA) def. Tedd Kelly/Klahn (Stan) - 8-5
UCLA Wins Doubles Point - Order of Finish: 1, 2, 3
1. (13) Alex Clayton (Stan) def. (74) Haythem Abid (UCLA) - 7-6(8), 7-5
2. (47) Bradley Klahn (Stan) def. (52) Matt Brooklyn (UCLA) - 6-3, 6-4
3. (93) Michael Look (UCLA) def. Ryan Thacher (Stan) - 6-1, 6-4
4. Matt Bruch (Stan) def. Holden Seguso (UCLA) - 6-4, 6-7(2), 7-6(0)*
5. Nick Meister (UCLA) def. (117) Richard Wire (Stan) - 7-6, 6-4
6. Amit Inbar (UCLA) def. Blake Muller (Stan) - 6-3, 6-3
* Denotes Clinching Match -- Order of Finish: 3, 6, 2, 5, 1, 4