No. 9 USC Women Take Cal Poly 6-1
March 1, 2009
LOS ANGELES, CALIF. - The No. 9 USC women's tennis team rolled out to a 6-1 win over visiting No. 72 Cal Poly today at Marks Stadium. A doubles point victory gave way to five straight-set singles wins for the Trojans, who improve to 8-1 with the home win.
Alison Ramos and Maria Sanchez set an early high mark for the Trojans with a clean 8-0 win at the No. 3 doubles position to open the day. An 8-5 win from #34 Amanda Fink / Gabriela Niculescu secured the doubles point for USC before Cal Poly managed a 9-7 win at No. 2 from Matzenauer/Markhoff over USC's #59 Sarah Fansler / Lyndsay Kinstler.
Amanda Fink followed Ramos/Sanchez's doubles lead with a singles shutout at the No. 3 position, as #33 Fink topped Maria Malec 6-0, 6-0 for a 2-0 USC lead in the match. At the No. 1 slot, #22 Sarah Fansler pinned up a 6-2, 6-3 win over Suzie Matzenauer for the Trojans, and #66 Gabriela Niculescu clinched the match for USC with her 6-2, 6-0 win over Whitney Peterson at No. 4. Next up in USC's string of singles wins was #88 Alison Ramos, who beat Diane Filip 6-1, 6-2 at No. 5, and Leyla Entekhabi got the score to 6-0 USC with her 6-2, 6-2 decision over Amy Markhoff at No. 6. With the match decided and #8 Maria Sanchez's match heading to a third set, the No. 2 singles match was decided in a 10-point tiebreak. There, Cal Poly's Brittany Blalock managed to get ahead of Sanchez and tally a point for Cal Poly with a 6-4, 4-6, 1-0 (10-4) decision to close down the action at Marks Stadium.
USC's next competition takes the Trojans to their crosstown rival UCLA. USC faces the Bruins in a 1:30 p.m. match on Wednesday (March 4) at UCLA's home Los Angeles Tennis Center. The Trojans follow that rivalry match with their first counting match for Pac-10 standings in a 12 p.m. match against Oregon on Friday (March 6) at Marks Stadium.
#9 USC 6, #72 Cal Poly 1
(1) #34 Fink/Niculescu (USC) def. Blalock/Wong (CP) - 8-5
(2) Matzenauer/Markhoff (CP) def. #59 Fansler/Kinstler (USC) - 9-7
(3) Ramos/Sanchez (USC) def. Brady/Malec (CP) - 8-0
USC wins doubles point.
Order of finish: 3, 1, 2
(1) #22 Sarah Fansler (USC) def. Suzie Matzenauer (CP) - 6-2, 6-3
(2) Brittany Blalock (CP) def. #8 Maria Sanchez (USC) - 6-4, 4-6, 1-0 (10-4)
(3) #33 Amanda Fink (USC) def. Maria Malec (CP) - 6-0, 6-0
(4) #66 Gabriela Niculescu (USC) def. Whitney Peterson (CP) - 6-2, 6-0
(5) #88 Alison Ramos (USC) def. Diane Filip - 6-1, 6-2
(6) Leyla Entekhabi (USC) def. Amy Markhoff (CP) - 6-2, 6-2
Order of finish: 3, 1, 4*, 5, 6, 2
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
Wed 10/26 | 7:00pm PTLive
Thu 10/27 | 2:00pm PTLive
Thu 10/27 | 5:00pm PTLive