Venise Chan Wins Again In Bay Area
March 1, 2009
PALO ALTO, Calif. - Sophomore Venise Chan completed an incredibly tough Bay Area sweep, defeating Stanford's No. 1 singles player this afternoon in dual play one day after winning against Cal's top player. However, Chan's 17th win of the season was the only point for the Huskies as 11th-ranked Stanford prevailed, 6-1.
The 38th-ranked Huskies fell to 7-4 on the year and 0-2 in Pac-10 play, but three of the losses have come to Top-15 teams. Stanford improved to 8-2 and 2-0 in conference.
One day after posting a straight-set win over 16th-ranked Jana Juricova of Cal, 53rd-ranked Chan outlasted 14th-ranked Hilary Barte, 6-3, 4-6, and 10-7 in the third-set super-tiebreak. Stanford had clinched the win by the time the two reached the third set, so the extended tiebreaker was used. The result was a reversal of last season's dual, when Barte defeated Chan in a super-tiebreak in Seattle.
Chan is now 10-1 in dual singles matches, and her win over Barte was among her most impressive. Barte was the ITA National Rookie of the Year last season and finished 2008 ranked No. 4 in the nation.
Freshmen Denise Dy and Samantha Smith both split sets in their singles matches and went to third-set super-tiebreakers as well, but Stanford came out ahead in each, turning what could have been a 4-3 match into the final 6-1 margin.
The women's team will look for its first Pac-10 win next week at 19th-ranked Arizona State and Arizona.
Washington Women's Tennis
2/28/09 - Palo Alto, Calif.
Taube Tennis Center
No. 11 Stanford 6, No. 38 Washington 1
1) No. 44 Barte/Burdette (STAN) d. No. 28 Chan/Dy (WASH) 8-0
2) McVeigh/Nguyen (STAN) d. Malovic/Xu (WASH) 8-4
3) Smith/Aleksandra Krsljanin (WASH) d. Li/Jennifer Yen (STAN) 8-6
Order of Finish: 1, 2, 3
1) No. 53 Venise Chan (WASH) d. No. 14 Hilary Barte (STAN) 6-3, 4-6, (10-7)
2) No. 103 Lindsay Burdette (STAN) d. No. 61 Denise Dy (WASH) 6-7 (4), 6-3, (10-7)
3) Jessica Nguyen (STAN) d. Lina Xu (WASH) 6-1, 6-1
4) Carolyn McVeigh (STAN) d. Samantha Smith (WASH) 6-1, 2-6, (10-8)
5) Veronica Li (STAN) d. Joyce Ardies (WASH) 6-1, 6-3
6) Courtney Clayton (STAN) d. Aleksandra Malovic (WASH) 6-3, 6-2
Order of Finish: 5, 3, 6, 4, 1, 2