Stanford Earns Third Shutout Of The Season; Knocks Off BYU 6-0
March 2, 2009
STANFORD, Calif. - In a match that had the start time delayed by three hours due to rainy weather, No. 5 Stanford prevailed over No. 60 BYU, 6-0, after forgoing doubles and only playing singles matches today at Taube Tennis Stadium.
Once the rain cleared, sunny and windy conditions prevailed, but didn't deter the Cardinal from taking care of business. Sophomore Ted Kelly got things started at No. 6 singles, defeating A.J. Young 6-2, 6-3, followed by freshman Ryan Thacher who took down Thomas Shubert 6-0, 6-4. Stanford then earned two more straight-set victories to secure the win, as Greg Hirshman beat Cassidy Mears 6-1, 6-2, and Pac-10 Player of the Week freshman Bradley Klahn was victorious over Roman Warias 7-5, 6-2.
Junior No. 117 Richard Wire and sophomore No. 13 Alex Clayton then finished things out with two wins. Clayton came back after falling in the first set 3-6 to overcome Evan Urbina 3-6, 6-4, 6-0, just before the rain began falling again.
'I'm proud of the way our guys have been handling the conditions so far; playing inside, playing when it's 80 degrees like last weekend, and now when it's 55, windy, and damp,' said head coach John Whitlinger. 'I'm glad we got the match in and that we got the result we did. BYU is a good team and Coach Pearce has done a great job with the program. They came out firing and the match was tight for a while, but our guys were able to turn it on and I'm pleased with the win.'
Stanford (11-1 overall) will next face Santa Clara at home on Wednesday, March 4, beginning at 1:30 p.m. weather permitting. Following that, the Cardinal will travel to La Jolla, Calif. for this weekend's Pacific Coast Doubles tournament.
March 2, 2009 - Stanford, Calif.
No. 5 Stanford 6, No. 60 BYU 0
Doubles (did not play)
1) No. 28 Wire/ Blake Muller (STAN) vs. Urbina/Young (BYU)
2) Thacher/Clayton (STAN) vs. Mears/Daniel Hwang (BYU)
3) Klahn/Kelly (STAN) vs. Shubert/Batrakov (BYU)
1) No. 13 Alex Clayton (STAN) d. Evan Urbina (BYU) 3-6, 6-4, 6-0
2) No. 47 Bradley Klahn (STAN) d. Roman Warias (BYU) 7-5, 6-2*
3) Ryan Thacher (STAN) d. Thomas Shubert (BYU) 6-0, 6-4
4) No. 117 Richard Wire (STAN) d. Georgy Batrakov (BYU) 7-6, 6-4
5) Greg Hirshman (STAN) d. Cassidy Mears (BYU) 6-1, 6-2
6) Ted Kelly (STAN) d. A.J. Young (BYU) 6-2, 6-3
Order of Finish: 6, 3, 5, 2*, 4, 1
* denotes clinching point
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TOMORROW | 6:00pm PTLive
Fri 5/26 | 10:30am PTLive
Fri 5/26 | 4:00pm PTLive