No. 1 Stanford Blanks Santa Clara, 7-0
March 4, 2009
STANFORD, Calif. - Stanford men's tennis earned its first win after being named the top team in the nation, dispatching local foe Santa Clara 7-0 today at home at Taube Tennis Stadium. The win marks the fourth shutout for the Cardinal this season.
The teams agreed to play singles matches first in case of rain, and Stanford wasted no time securing the win. Sophomore Ted Kelly, playing at No. 5 today, earned the first point for the Cardinal, surrendering only one game to the Broncos' Charlie Burke. Then, freshman Ryan Thacher defeated Tommy Hicks, 6-1, 6-2.
Senior Jeff Zeller, in his 2009 dual match debut, only dropped two games in the first set to Santa Clara's John Iwanski to make it 3-0 Stanford. At No. 2 singles, No. 36 freshman Bradley Klahn earned his second match-clinching victory in a row, upending Kyle Dandan, 6-3, 6-1.
No. 14 sophomore Alex Clayton and senior Blake Muller rounded out the shutout at singles, as Clayton defeated top Bronco 6-3, 6-3, and Muller battled out a third-set tiebreaker to take the match 6-3, 4-6, 1-0(5) over Kenzo Kirakawa-Wong.
In doubles, Santa Clara was able to steal one match from the Cardinal, as Dandan and Hicks defeated Zeller and Muller 9-7. Stanford won the point with wins at the No. 1 position by Kelly and Klahn, and at the No. 3 position by juniors Paul Morrissey and Kevin Kaiser in their season debut.
The Cardinal (12-1) will continue play this weekend at the Pacific Coast Doubles tournament in La Jolla, Calif., beginning Friday, March 6. For more information on the Pacific Coast Doubles, please visit http://tennislink.usta.com/Tournaments/TournamentHome/Tournament.aspx?T=32048.
March 4, 2009 - Stanford, Calif.
No. 1 Stanford 7, Santa Clara 0
1) Klahn/Kelly (STAN) d. Wong/Hirakawa-Wong (SCU) 8-6
2) Dandan/Hicks (SCU) d. Zeller/Muller (STAN) 9-7
3) Kevin Kaiser/Paul Morrissey (STAN) d. Burke/Iwanski (SCU) 8-5
Order of Finish: 3, 1, 2
1) No. 14 Alex Clayton (STAN) d. Jay Wong (SCU) 6-3, 6-3
2) No. 36 Bradley Klahn (STAN) d. Kyle Dandan (SCU) 6-3, 6-1*
3) Ryan Thacher (STAN) d. Tommy Hicks (SCU) 6-1, 6-2
4) Blake Muller (STAN) d. Kenzo Hirakawa-Wong (SCU) 6-3, 4-6, 1-0 (5)
5) Ted Kelly (STAN) d. Charlie Burke (SCU) 6-1, 6-0
6) Jeff Zeller (STAN) d. John Iwanski (SCU) 6-2, 6-0
Order of Finish: 5, 3, 6, 2*, 1, 4
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TODAY | 6:00pm PTLive
TOMORROW | 1:00pm PTLive