No. 8 USC Men's Tennis Falls to No. 13 UCLA
March 5, 2009
The No. 8 USC men's tennis team took a tough 5-2 home loss on Thursday (March 5) to the No. 13 ranked UCLA Bruins at Marks Stadium. The loss brings USC to 10-3 and UCLA to 8-4. The match began on Wednesday afternoon, but halfway through doubles it was interrupted by rain which caused play to be suspended until Thursday afternoon. The Bruins took the doubles point, but a quick singles win by Steve Johnson for the Trojans brought the match score to 1-1. However, the Bruins were able to get the next three singles points to take the match.In doubles, #4 Robert Farah/Steve Johnson out of the No. 1 slot lost to UCLA's Haythem Abid/Nick Meister, 8-5. The Trojans needed to take the next two matches to gain the point, but UCLA's Amit Inbar/Harel Srugo beat Abdullah Magdas/Daniel Nguyen from the No. 3 spot to clench the doubles point for the Bruins. No. 2 Matt Kecki/Jaak Poldma finished with a win over Matt Brooklyn/Michael Look, but the doubles point had already been decided for the Bruins, 1-0.
The Trojans looked to fight back in the singles round and a quick win from #86 Steve Johnson from the No. 3 spot over UCLA's Michael Look, 6-0, 6-4 tied the Trojans at 1-1 for the match. From the No. 4 spot #57 Abdullah Magdas was not able to overcome Holden Seguso, and he dropped the match 5-7, 0-6. Following next was a rare loss by #1 Robert Farah, his first in a dual match this season to UCLA's Haythem Abid 6-4, 6-3. No. 6 Jason McNaugton next dropped his match in three sets to Amit Inbar 3-6, 6-0, 6-2. With that loss, UCLA clinched the match victory. Finishing out the match, Jaak Poldma beat his opponent, Matt Brooklyn 6-3, 6-4 to give USC their second point on the afternoon and Matt Kecki dropped his match to Nick Meister, 2-6, 6-2 and then 10-7 in the tiebreaker, making the final score UCLA 5, USC 2.
The Trojans will look to avenge this loss at a home match at Marks Stadium on Thursday (March 12) against Texas Tech at 11 a.m.
UCLA 5, USC 2
(1) Abid/Meister (UCLA) def. #4 Farah/Johnson (USC) - 8-5
(2) Kecki/Poldma (USC) def. Brooklyn/Look (UCLA) - 9-7
(3) Inbar/Srugo (UCLA) def. Magdas/Nguyen (USC) - 8-4
UCLA wins doubles point
Order of finish: 1, 3*, 2
(1) #76 Haythem Abid (UCLA) def. #1 Robert Farah (USC) - 6-4, 6-3
(2) #102 Jaak Poldma (USC) def. #67 Matt Brooklyn (UCLA) - 6-3, 6-4
(3) #86 Steve Johnson (USC) def. #83 Michael Look (UCLA) - 6-0, 6-4
(4) Holden Seguso (UCLA) def. #57 Abdullah Magdas (USC) - 7-5, 6-0
(5) #117 Nick Meister (UCLA) def. Matt Kecki (USC) - 2-6, 6-2, (10-7)
(6) Amit Inbar (UCLA) def. Jason McNaughton (USC) - 3-6, 6-0, 6-2
Order of finish: 3, 4, 1, 6*, 2, 5
UCLA wins 5-2