No. 11 UCLA Women's Tennis Downs Oregon, 6-1
March 6, 2009
LOS ANGELES - Coming off a dramatic come-from-behind victory over cross-town rival USC a day earlier, the No. 11 UCLA women's tennis team showed no signs of a letdown in its Pac-10 opener on Friday, recording a 6-1 victory over Oregon at the Los Angeles Tennis Center. With the win, UCLA moves to 12-2 overall and 1-0 in the Pac-10. The Ducks fall to 7-5 overall and 1-2 in conference play.
After claiming the doubles point with wins on all three courts, UCLA went on to win five of six singles matches. Freshman Nina Pantic earned her first dual-match singles win on Friday, dispatching of Stephanie Macfarlane, 6-0, 6-0 at court No. 4. That win was followed by a 6-0, 6-2 decision by 19th-ranked Yasmin Schnack over Carmen Seremeta at court No. 1. The win was clinched by 81st-ranked Maya Johansson at the No. 3 spot, as she downed Madelie Janse van Rensburg, 6-0, 6-2.
Andrea Remynse (court No. 2) and Carling Seguso (court No. 5) were also singles winners for UCLA on Friday. Oregon's lone point came in the last match at court No. 6, where Trudie du Toit outlasted Bruin junior Stephanie Wetmore, 3-6, 7-6(4), (10-6).
Next up for UCLA is a home match against Arizona State on March 12 at 1:30 p.m.
1. (5) Remynse/Schnack (UCLA) def. (39) Ana Cecilia Olivos/Smatova (UO), 8-5
2. (76) Seguso/Wetmore (UCLA) def. Claudia Hirt/Macfarlane (UO), 8-2
3. Ashley Joelson/Pantic (UCLA) def. du Toit/Seremeta (UO), 8-5
UCLA Wins Doubles Point - Order of Finish: 2, 3, 1
1. (19) Yasmin Schnack (UCLA) def. Carmen Seremeta (UO), 6-0, 6-2
2. (27) Andrea Remynse (UCLA) def. Pavlina Smatova (UO), 6-1, 6-2
3. (81) Maya Johansson (UCLA) def. Madelie Janse van Rensburg (UO), 6-0, 6-2*
4. (112) Nina Pantic (UCLA) def. Stephanie Macfarlane (UO), 6-0, 6-0
5. Carling Seguso (UCLA) def. Siobhan Cavan (UO), 7-6(3), 6-1
6. Trudie du Toit (UO) def. Stephanie Wetmore (UCLA), 3-6, 7-6(4), (10-6)
* Denotes Clinching Match -- Order of Finish: 4, 1, 3, 2, 5, 6
TODAY | 6:00pm PTLive
TOMORROW | 10:30am PTLive
TOMORROW | 4:00pm PTLive