No. 16 Sun Devils Defeat No. 23 Huskies, 5-2
March 6, 2009
TEMPE, Ariz. - The 23rd-ranked UW women's tennis team lost a lengthy match in Tempe today, as 16th-ranked Arizona State pulled out a 5-2 win. Washington (7-5, 0-3 Pac-10) was just a couple games away from swinging the match in its favor, but lost its third straight road match to a Top-20 opponent.
The Huskies had to go without junior Joyce Ardies, one of the top performers so far this season, but sophomore Aleksandra Krsljanin gamely stepped in to the No. 6 singles spot and defeated ASU's Sianna Simmons, 7-6, 6-3. It was Krsljanin's first singles match since the fall season.
Sophomore Lina Xu also posted her biggest win yet as a Husky, upsetting 79th-ranked Micaela Hein, 7-5, 6-4, at third singles.
Arizona State had just enough firepower to control the remaining matches. The Sun Devils, who have two Top-50 doubles teams, swept doubles play to open. Laila Abdala then defeated freshman Samantha Smith in straight sets at fourth singles. After a close first set, Nadia Abdala pulled away from freshman Denise Dy to win, 7-5, 6-1, at No. 2 singles.
Leading 3-2, ASU's third-ranked Kelcy McKenna pulled out the final two games to complete a come-from-behind 4-6, 6-1, 7-5 victory over 21st-ranked Venise Chan at No. 1 singles, clinching the match for the Sun Devils. After that, the Sun Devils prevailed at No. 5 singles in a match that went the maximum possible distance. Michelle Brycki, added to ASU's roster this very week, outlasted sophomore Aleksandra Malovic in three consecutive tiebreak sets, winning 6-7, 7-6, 7-6.
The Huskies will look to bounce back in what looms as a critical match against the Arizona Wildcats tomorrow, at 12 noon in Tucson, Ariz.
Washington Women's Tennis
March 6, 2009 - Tempe, Ariz.
Whiteman Tennis Center
No. 16 Arizona State 5, No. 23 Washington 2
1. (10) Hein/McKenna (ASU) def. (36) Chan/Dy (UW), 8-4
2. (50) Abdala/Abdala (ASU) def. Xu/Malovic (UW), 8-3
3. Simmons/Brown (ASU) def. Krsljanin/Smith (UW), 8-2
Order of finish: 2, 3, 1
1. (3) Kelcy McKenna (ASU) def. (21) Venise Chan (UW), 4-6, 6-1, 7-5
2. Nadia Abdala (ASU) def. (59) Denise Dy (UW), 7-5, 6-1
3. Lina Xu (UW) def. (79) Micaela Hein (ASU), 7-5, 6-4
4. Laila Abdala (ASU) def. Samantha Smith (UW), 6-0, 6-2
5. Brycki (ASU) def. Aleksandra Malovic (UW), 6-7, 7-6, 7-6
6. Aleksandra Krsljanin (UW) def. Sianna Simmons (ASU), 7-6, 6-3
Order of finish: 4, 2, 3, 6, 1, 5
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TODAY | 7:00pm PTLive
TOMORROW | 2:00pm PTLive
TOMORROW | 5:00pm PTLive