No. 17 Wildcats Dominate Aggies, 6-1
March 6, 2009
TUCSON - The No. 17 Arizona Wildcats came into its match against New Mexico State ranked the highest it has been in nearly three decades. They left the match with an eight match winning streak after dominating the visiting Aggies 6-1 in a match that lasted two hours and 49 minutes.
The Wildcats (10-1) got off to a fast start winning two of the three doubles matches and taking the doubles point from the Aggies (8-3). In position #3, the duo of Jay Goldman and Ola Bakke defeated Gustave Diep and Stefan McKinney 8-6.
In position #1 in singles, Goldman dominated his match against Jim Brouleau beating him 6-2, 6-2.
Freshman Jason Zafiros remained undefeated by beating Stefan McKinney 6-4, 6-3 in position #6. On the season, Zafiros is 11-0 with a 2-0 record in position #5 and 9-0 record in position #6.
Metham clinched the victory for Arizona by beating Matei Stakne in position #5 6-4, 6-2.
Arizona will in action again on Sunday March 8, when they take on the Anteaters of UC Irvine at 12:00 p.m. The match will be played at the Tucson Racquet Club.
1) Roman Stoisavjevic/Eduardo Salas (NMSU) def Pat Metham/Ravid Hazi (UA) 8-2
2) Andres Arango/Andres Carrasco (UA) def. Arthur Surreaux/Jim Brouleau (NMSU) 8-6
3) Jay Goldman/Ola Bakke (UA) def. Gustave Diep/Stefan McKinney (NMSU) 8-5
Order: 1, 3, 2
1) Jay Goldman (UA) def. Jim Brouleau (NMSU) 6-2, 6-2
2) Andres Arango (UA) def. Roman Stoisavjevic (NMSU) 6-4, 6-4
3) Andres Carrasco (UA) def. Gustave Diep (NMSU) 6-2, 1-6, 6-1
4) Arthur Surreaux (NMSU) def. Ravid Hazi (UA) 6-3, 6-4
5) Pat Metham (UA) def. Matei Stakne (NMSU) 6-4, 6-2*
6) Jason Zafiros (UA) def. Stefan McKinney (NMSU) 6-4, 6-3
Order: 6, 1, 4, 5, 2, 3
* Clinched the victory
TOMORROW | 12:00pm PTLive