No. 17 Cats Top Anteaters, 6-1
March 8, 2009
TUCSON-- The No. 17 Arizona Wildcats ran its match winning streak at nine when they defeated the No. 75 UC Irvine Anteaters, 6-1, this afternoon at the Tucson Racquet Club.
The Wildcats (11-1) took two of the three doubles matches against the Anteaters (4-7, 2-0). The No. 55 ranked duo of Francis VanderMerwe and Pat Metham took care of business by beating UC Irvine's duo of Wes Miller and Khunpol Issara 8-3 in position #1.
In singles, freshman Jason Zafiros continued his dominance. Zafiros ran his singles record to 12-0 by sweeping UC Irvine's Stephen Stege 6-4, 6-2.
Arango, playing in position #1 for the first time since the season opener against Northern Arizona, defeated Steven Henderson in straight sets winning 6-4, 6-4.
Carrasco clinched the Wildcats ninth straight victory by beating UC Irvine's Wes Miller 6-2, 2-6, 6-3 in three sets. Carrasco ran his overall singles record to 9-3.
In position #6, Bakke defeated Sam Gould 7-5, 6-3 in straight sets. On the season, Bakke's is 3-0 while playing in position #6.
After losing the first set of his match, Pat 'The Beast' Metham fought back to win the last two sets. Metham defeated Khunpol Issara 4-6, 7-6(7-5), 10-7.
Arizona will be in action again for a rare Wednesday match when they take on the Tigers of Memphis on March 11, at 1:00 p.m. The match will be played at the LaNelle Robson Tennis Center.
1) Francois VanderMerwe/Pat Metham (UA) def. Wes Miller/Khunpol Issara (UCI) 8-3
2) Andres Arango/Andres Carrasco (UA) def. Zac Tsai/Jon Kazarian (UCI) 8-4
3) Steven Henderson/Gautam Vaidyanathan (UCI) def. Ravid Hazi/Ola Bakke (UA) 8-6
Order: 1, 2, 3
1) Andres Arango (UA) def. Steven Henderson (UCI) 6-4, 6-4
2) Andres Carrasco (UA) def. Wes Miller (UCI) 6-2, 2-6, 6-3*
3) Fabian Mathews (UCI def. Ravid Hazi (UA) 3-6, 6-4, 6-4
4) Pat Metham (UA) def. Khunpol Issara (UCI) 4-6, 7-6 (7-5), 10-7
5) Jason Zafiros (UA) def. Stephen Stege (UCI) 6-4, 6-2
6) Ola Bakke (UA) def. Sam Gould (UCI) 7-5, 6-3
Order: 5, 1, 2, 3, 6, 4
* Clinched victory
TODAY | 2:00pm PTLive
TODAY | 5:00pm PTLive
TODAY | 7:00pm PTLive