Men's Tennis Defeats Hawai'i, 6-1
March 11, 2009
LOS ANGELES - The ninth-ranked UCLA men's tennis team swept the doubles and then won five of six singles matches on Wednesday to post a 6-1 victory over Hawai'i in a non-conference showdown at the Los Angeles Tennis Center. With the win, the Bruins improve to 9-4 on the season, while the Warriors fall to 1-4.
Wednesday's match marked the first-ever meeting between the two schools in men's tennis. UCLA jumped out to an early 1-0 lead with wins on all three doubles courts. The doubles point was clinched at the No. 3 spot, where Amit Inbar and Harel Srugo downed Craig Faulk/Sascha Heinemann, 8-4.
In singles, the Bruins moved out to a quick 3-0 lead following wins by Inbar (court No. 6) and Nick Meister (court No. 5). Matt Brooklyn ended up recording the clinching win for UCLA at the No. 2 spot, as he overcame a close first set to eventually cruise in the second, winning 7-6(5), 6-0 over Andreas Weber.
Holden Seguso (court No.4) and Michael Look (court No. 3) were also singles winners for UCLA on Wednesday. Hawai'i earned its lone point of the afternoon at court No. 1, where 116th-ranked Dennis Lajola upset 76th-ranked Haythem Abid, 6-3, 7-6(0).
UCLA will be off the next two weeks for final exams and spring break. The Bruins' next match is not until March 27 at Stanford.
1. Abid/Meister (UCLA) def. Lajola/Weber (UH), 8-5
2. Brooklyn/Look (UCLA) def. Fitch/Rosenberg (UH), 8-6
3. Inbar/Harel Srugo (UCLA) def. Craig Faulk/Heinemann (UH), 8-4
UCLA Wins Doubles Point - Order of Finish: 1, 3, 2
1. (116) Dennis Lajola (UH) def. (76) Haythem Abid (UCLA), 6-3, 7-6(0)
2. (67) Matt Brooklyn (UCLA) def. Andreas Weber (UH), 7-6(5), 6-0*
3. (83) Michael Look (UCLA) def. Leo Rosenberg (UH), 6-2, 4-6, 6-3
4. Holden Seguso (UCLA) def. Sascha Heinemann (UH), 7-6(6), 6-3
5. (117) Nick Meister (UCLA) def. Jeff Fitch (UH), 6-2, 6-4
6. Amit Inbar (UCLA) def. Daniel Llarenas (UH), 6-0, 6-0
* Denotes Clinching Match -- Order of Finish: 6, 5, 2, 1, 4, 3