No. 14 Women's Tennis Overcome by No. 9 UCLA 4-3
March 12, 2009
Los Angeles--The 14th-ranked Arizona State Women's Tennis team battled it out against ninth-ranked UCLA, but ultimately fell to the Bruins 4-3 in a non-conference contest at the Los Angeles Tennis Center on Thursday.
The Devils had a hard time breaking the Bruins in doubles play, as Ashley Joelson and Nina Pantic defeated Kelcy McKenna and Ali Van Horne 8-4. Ashlee Brown and Sianna Simmons kept it close against No. 75 Carling Seguso and Stephanie Wetmore, but the Bruin duo pulled away from the Devils 9-8 (5). Sisters Laila and Nadia Abdala were ousted by Andrea Remynse and Yasmin Schnack in a tough 8-4 decision.
Singles play got off to a rocky start with Carling Seguso defeating Ali Van Horne 6-2, 7-5 on court six. In the number five spot, freshman Sianna Simmons struggled against Ashley Joelson, dropping the match 6-4, 6-2. After a final loss that saw Ashlee Brown overcome by Nina Pantic 7-5, 6-3, the Devils brought out the firepower, leading to a series of upsets. In an intense battle on court two, Nadia Abdala upset No. 27 Andrew Remynse 7-5, 2-6, (11-9), while her sister Laila Abdala took down No. 81 Maya Johansson in the number three spot. Third ranked Kelcy McKenna finished the day on a positive note for the Devils, defeating No. 19 Yasmin Schnack 6-3, 5-7, 6-4.
The Devils are now 8-3 overall and 3-0 in the Pac-10. Women's Tennis returns to the desert on Sunday, March 15, 2009 as the Sun Devils take on Cal in Tempe at ASU's Whiteman Tennis Center at 11:00 a.m. MT.
#9 UCLA 4, #14 Arizona State 3
1. (5) Remynse/Schnack (UCLA) def. (50) L. Abdala/N. Abdala (ASU) 8-4
2. (76) Seguso/Stephanie Wetmore (UCLA) def. Brown/Simmons (ASU) 9-8(5)
3. Joelson/Pantic (UCLA) def. McKenna/Van Horne (ASU) 8-4
UCLA Wins Doubles Point - Order of Finish: 3, 2, 1
1. (3) Kelcy McKenna (ASU) def. (19) Yasmin Schnack (UCLA) 6-3, 5-7, 6-4
2. Nadia Abdala (ASU) def. (27) Andrea Remynse (UCLA) 7-5, 2-6, (11-9)
3. Laila Abdala (ASU) def. (81) Maya Johansson (UCLA) 5-7, 6-4, (10-8)
4. (112) Nina Pantic (UCLA) def. Ashlee Brown (ASU) 7-5, 6-3*
5. Ashley Joelson (UCLA) def. Sianna Simmons (ASU) 6-4, 6-2
6. Carling Seguso (UCLA) def. Ali Van Horne (ASU) 6-2, 7-5
Order of Finish: 6, 5, 4, 2, 3, 1
* Denotes Clinching Match