2009 State Farm Pac-10 Tournament: Game Three Notes
March 13, 2009
- For the first time in Tournament history, the lower seeded team has won the first three games of the Tournament.
- This is the first time ASU and USC have played in the Tournament.
- USC beat a ranked team for the first time this season.
- USC’s 10 three point field goals made were the 2nd highest (tied) in a quarterfinal Tournament game.
- USC shot better than 50% from the field for only the 3rd time this season. Its .529 (27-51) percent was only the fifth time a team has bettered 50% during a Tournament quarterfinal game.
- ASU had used the same starting lineup throughout the Pac-10 regular season. Due to a season ending injury to guard Dymond Simon, Kate Englebrecht opened the game for the Sun Devils.
- Briann January wore Simon’s #1 on her jersey instead of her usual #20.
- ASU twice took 5 point leads early in the 1st half (5-0 and 7-2). USC went on a 23-4 run to take a 25-11 lead with 7:32 to go. During the run Camille LeNoir had 9 points, USC shot 10-13 from the field, ASU shot 2-14 and committed 6 turnovers.
- The Trojans’ largest lead of the first half (14) was ten more they had during the two regular season contests with the Sun Devils.
- This was only the 6th time this season ASU trailed at halftime (1-4 the previous 5 times.)
- ASU narrowed USC’s lead to three points (63-60) with 3:50 to go on January’s 13th point of the game. USC upped its lead to 67-63 at 1:07.
- USC guard Heather Oliver tied her career high for 3 point field goals made with 5. It also tied her for 3rd on the single game Tournament list with eight others.
- ASU guard Danielle Orsillo had a season high 17 points.
- ASU F/C Lauren Lacey scored in double figures for the 9th time this season, but for only the first time since her season high of 19 vs. Oregon on January 10.
- USC advances to play in the first semifinal game tomorrow night; tipoff is at 6:00 p.m.
- USC advances to the Tournament’s semifinal round for the 4th time (2005, 2006 and 2007. . . each time losing to Stanford.) The Trojans are now 5-7 overall in Tournament games.
- This is only the second time the #6 seed has upset the #3 seed (2004, Washington defeated USC, 67-50.)
- The Women of Troy ended a seven game losing streak to the Sun Devils dating back to January 6, 2006.
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
Now on Pac-12 Network
Get Pac-12 Networks
Pac-12 Networks Channel Finder