Wildcats take out Quakers
March 14, 2009
Sparked by dominance in the doubles play, the Wildcats (7-4, 1-2 Pac-10) cruised past Penn in singles to defeat the Quakers 6-1.
For the fourth time in a row, the Wildcats won in doubles, winning 3-0. Freshman Natasha Marks and junior Claire Rietsch defeated Penn's Lauren Sadaka and Maria Anisimova 8-3, and senior Danielle Steinberg and partner, freshman Sarah Landsman swept Jacqueline Wong and Alexa Ely 8-0. In the
'We played a really solid match against Penn today.' Said head coach Vicky Maes, 'We came out strong in the doubles and continued our dominance in the singles. We needed this type of performance going into tomorrow's match.'
In singles, Danielle Steinberg led the way in the No. 1 spot defeating Kate Kosminskaya 6-3, 6-1, and.
In the No. 5 spot, junior Claire Rietsch fought hard but was unable to come up with a win over Jacqueline Wong, losing 6-2, 7-5.
Up next, the Wildcats continue their weekend in Fresno against No. 37 Fresno State at 10:30 a.m.
'Fresno State is an excellent team and we cannot have too many letdowns,' Maes said, 'We need a strong team performance.'
1. Marks/Rietsch UA def. Anisimova/Sadaka Penn 8-3
2. Steinberg/Landsman UA def. Ely/Wong Penn 8-0
3. Masschelein/ Huh UA def. Wolf/Shaffer Penn 8-6
1. Steinberg UA def. Kosminskaya Penn 6-3 6-1
2. Marks UA def. Anisimova Penn 6-2 6-2
3. Landsman UA def. Ely Penn 6-1 6-2
4. Masschelein UA def. Wolf Penn 6-1 1-0 default
5. Wong Penn def. Rietsch UA 6-2 7-5
6. Castany UA def. Shaffer Penn 6-4 6-2
Arizona women's tennis contact: Katie Roberts (firstname.lastname@example.org)