Wildcats drops match to No. 37 Fresno State
March 14, 2009
Starting with a doubles shutout by the Bulldogs, the Wildcats were unable to come back in singles, and fell to No. 37 Fresno State 6-1.
'We really came out rather flat today. We competed hard but took little advantage of the opportunities we got,' Said head coach Vicky Maes, 'I was disappointed in the lack of execution in the doubles but they are a great doubles team and that was to be expected.'
Today's only singles win for the Wildcats was Ariane Masschelein in the No. 4 spot. Masschelein took on Laura Pola for the second time that day, and won 6-0, 3-6, 6-4.
'The singles could have been a lot closer,' Maes said, 'Unfortunately, we did not take care of our game plans. A team like Fresno State will eat you alive if you don't play with purpose and confidence. I think we learned some good lessons that will help us do better in future matches.'
Next up for Arizona, the Wildcats head to Hawaii to take on the University of Wyoming on Friday, March 20 at 11 a.m. HST. On Saturday the Wildcats will take on the University of Hawaii at Manoa at 10 a.m. HST.
1. No. 1 Petukhova/Jucerkova FS def. Marks/Rietsch UA 8-3
2. No. 9 Gloria/Rowe FS def. No. 66 Steinberg/Landsman UA 8-2
3. Pola/Bearrt FS def. Masschelein/Huh UA 8-6
1. No. 14 Gloria FS def. Steinberg UA 7-6, 8-6, 6-1
2. No. 25 Petukhova FS def. No. 124 Marks UA 6-4, 6-0
3. No. 88 Kucerkova FS def. Landsman UA 6-2, 6-3
4. Rowe FS def. Rietsch UA 6-2, 6-2
5. Masschelein UA def. Pola FS 6-0, 3-6, 6-4
6. Beatty FS def. Castany UA 6-0, 7-6 (7-5)
Arizona Women's tennis contact: Katie Roberts (email@example.com)