2009 State Farm Pac-10 Tournament: Championship Game Notes
March 15, 2009
Stanford wins the 2009 State Farm Pac-10 Women's Basketball Tournament and the conference's automatic bid to the 2009 NCAA Women's Basketball Tournament.
The 2009 All-Pac-10 Tournament Team:
Most Outstanding Player - Kayla Pedersen (F, Stanford, 2 time all Tournament team selection)
Jillian Harmon (F, Stanford)
Camille LeNoir (G, USC)
Nyingifa, Atonye (F, UCLA)
Nnemkadi Ogwumike (F, Stanford)
Ashley Walker (F, California)
- Pedersen is the second sophomore to be the MOP. (Nicole Powell, Stanford in 2002.) Candice Wiggins, Stanford, won as a freshman in 2005.
- Stanford's 25 point margin of victory was the most in title game history (21 - Stanford vs Cal last year, 56-35).
- The 89 points scored by Stanford were the most scored in a Tournament title game (85, UCLA vs. Stanford) and second most in any Tournament game (96, Stanford vs. UCLA in 2002). Stanford's 239 points scored in the Tournament's three games were also a record (Stanford 230 in 2002).
- Stanford also set Tournament championship game records for Rebounds (48), FG made ( 35), FG Att (71),and FG % (.493).
- Stanford won its 6th Tournament title (2003-05, 2007-09). It has appeared in all eight Tournament title games, losing only to Arizona State (2002, 70-63) and UCLA (2006, 85-76 ot).
- The Cardinal (22-2) have appeared in one-third of the 72 games that have been played in the Tournament's eight year history.
- USC's Tournament record dropped to 6-8. It is now 0-4 versus Stanford in the Tournament.
- Stanford, having won the Pac-10 Conference title (outright or shared) the past eight seasons, has been the #1 seed in each year of the Tournament's existence. As such, it has never had to wear its road uniforms during the tournament.
- USC is the lowest seeded team (#6) to have reached the Tournament final. This is the first 1-6 matchup in the Tournament's history, as the #1 and #6 seeds are on opposite parts of the bracket.
- USC center Kari LaPlante scored 4 points and garnered 3 rebounds in the game's first 2:44. Stanford went on a 14-2 run to take a 16-6 lead with 11:01 to go in the 1st half.
- Stanford F/C Jayne Appel blocked her first shot of the Tournament with 9:11 to go in the 1st half; she began the Tournament as number two on the career Tournament block list with 14 and added 2 more tonight (trailing the 18 of Stanford's Kristen Newlin).
- After the Cardinal took a 25-10 lead at 6:03, the Trojans went on a 14-4 run (29-24 at 1:10). Stanford scored the last 4 points of the half.
- USC guard Camille LeNoir scored her first points of the game at 15:50 of the second half; she scored 18 and 25 in USC's first two Tournament games.
- Pedersen's 25 points were the 2nd most scored in a Tournament title game (30, Candice Wiggins last year) and were the most scored by a Cardinal in this year's Tournament. Her 15 rebounds vs. Arizona were also her team's high during the Tournament.
- Stanford had at least four double figure scorers in each of its Tournament games.
- LeNoir's 56 points scored in the Tournament were the 6th most (tie) in Tournament history.