No. 11 Stanford Blanks San Francisco 7-0; Home Streak At 143
March 21, 2009
STANFORD, Calif.- Back on the court for the first time in two weeks, No. 11 Stanford looked sharp while blanking San Francisco 7-0 on Saturday afternoon at the Taube Family Tennis Stadium.
Stanford (10-2, 2-0 Pac-10) has now won five in row while San Francisco (7-7, 2-2 WCC) has lost five of its last six overall.
With Saturday's victory, Stanford extended its home winning streak at the Taube Family Tennis Stadium to an unthinkable 143 in a row (115 in the regular season). The Cardinal's last loss in a home dual match occurred more than 10 years ago, in the form of a 5-4 setback to No. 4 California on Feb. 27, 1999.
The Cardinal captured the doubles point to take a 1-0 lead, sweeping all three spots in the lineup while surrendering only five games combined in the process.
Leading 3-0, Carolyn McVeigh secured the match with a 6-1, 6-2 triumph over Jessy Mekpoh at the No. 4 position.
Freshman Logan Hansen made her first appearance in the lineup since Feb. 10 and overwhelmed Alana McMahon 6-0, 6-0 at the No. 6 spot. Meanwhile, Hilary Barte picked up career win No. 50 with a 6-4, 6-4 victory over Jenni Heinser at No. 1.
Stanford will host Princeton on Tuesday, Mar. 24, at 12 p.m. before its road swing through UCLA and USC later in the week.
No. 11 Stanford 7, San Francisco 0
1) No. 17 Barte/Burdette (STAN) d. Heinser/Gratian (USF) 8-1
2) McVeigh/Nguyen (STAN) d. Wartenburdger/Mekpoh (USF) 8-2
3) Hansen/Li (STAN) d. Martin/Oudomvilay (USF) 8-2
Order of Finish: 1, 3, 2
1) No. 14 Hilary Barte (STAN) d. No. 55 Jenni Heinser (USF) 6-4, 6-4
2) Lindsay Burdette (STAN) d. Mylene Martin (USF) 6-1, 6-0
3) No. 98 Jessica Nguyen (STAN) d. Julia Wartenburger (USF) 6-3, 6-1
4) Carolyn McVeigh (STAN) d. Jessy Mekpoh (USF) 6-1, 6-2
5) Veronica Li (STAN) d. Cecilia Gratian (USF) 6-3, 6-1
6) Logan Hansen (STAN) d. Alana McMahon (USF) 6-0, 6-0
Order of Finish: 6, 2, 4, 5, 3, 1
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TOMORROW | 2:00pm PTLive
TOMORROW | 4:00pm PTLive
TOMORROW | 7:00pm PTLive