Stanford Falls To Baylor 4-3 In Only Second Loss Of The Season
March 24, 2009
WACO, Texas - The fourth-ranked Stanford men's tennis squad was upset by No. 10 Baylor today in only the Cardinal's second loss of the season, falling to the Bears 4-3 in Waco.
Baylor took the 1-0 lead by capturing all three doubles matches and the correlating point. The pair of junior Richard Wire and senior Blake Muller was the first team to fall, losing to Julian Bley and Dominik Mueller 8-5 at the No. 3 spot. The Bears then clinched the point with wins at No. 1 and No. 2 doubles, but they needed tiebreakers to pull off the victories, downing both Cardinal pairs by a score of 9-8.
In singles action, the two teams traded points over the first four matches to finish. No. 113 Wire put Stanford on the board with a win at No. 5 singles over Attila Bucko in straight sets, 6-4, 6-4. Baylor then took the lead again, going up 2-1 with a win at No. 4 singles as Dominik Mueller defeated senior Matt Bruch 7-6, 6-3.
Stanford tied things up, two-all as No. 53 freshman Bradley Klahn beat David Galic 6-3, 7-6, but No. 13 sophomore Alex Clayton fell to sixth-ranked Denes Lukacs 7-6, 6-3 to make it 3-2 Bears. Freshman Ryan Thacher saved then won over Bley at No. 3 singles, 7-6, 6-4, keeping Stanford in the match and putting the pressure on the No. 6 spot to produce the clinching point.
At No. 6 singles, senior Blake Muller took the first set over Maros Horny 7-6, but fell 4-6, forcing the third set. Unfortunately for the Cardinal, Muller was never able to recover, dropping the third set
March 24, 2009 - Waco, Texas
No. 10 Baylor 4, No. 4 Stanford 3
1) Galic/Rux (BU) d. Bruch/Muller (STAN) 8-5
2) Lukacs/Horny (BU) d. Thacher/Klahn (STAN) 9-8
3) Bley/Mueller (BU) d. Wire/Kelly (STAN) 9-8
Order of Finish: 3, 1, 2
1) No. 6 Denes Lukacs d. No. 13 Alex Clayton (STAN) 7-6, 6-3
2) No. 53 Bradley Klahn (STAN) d. David Galic (BU) 6-3, 7-6
3) Ryan Thacher (STAN) d. Julian Bley (BU) 7-6, 6-4
4) Dominik Mueller (BU) d. Matt Bruch (STAN) 7-6, 6-3
5) No. 113 Richard Wire (STAN) d. Attila Bucko (BU) 6-4, 6-4
6) Maros Horny (BU) d. Blake Muller (SCU) 6-7, 6-4, 6-1*
Order of Finish: 5, 4, 2, 1, 3, 6*