No. 20 Arizona Beats Northwestern, 4-3
March 25, 2009
TUCSON - After having 10 days off between matches, the No. 20 Arizona men's tennis team had to overcome a sluggish start to beat Northwestern 4-3 and run its winning streak to 13 matches.
'I thought we started out slowly and cranky and it showed,' assistant coach Tom Lloyd said after the match. 'I was happy to see the guys rebound from a slow start and come away with a win.'
The Wildcats (15-1) found themselves behind 1-0 early as they dropped the doubles point by losing two of the three matches.
In singles play, Arango improved his single's match winning streak to seven by defeating Reitz 6-4, 6-3 in position #2.
Jay Goldman, Andres Carrasco and Pat Metham rounded out the other matches won by Arizona. All three players now have six-match winning streaks. Goldman defeated Dwyer 6-1, 6-2 in position #1, Carrasco defeated Alexander Thams 3-6, 6-3, 6-2 in position #3 and Metham defeated Alex Sanborn 6-3, 1-6, 7-6 (9-7) in position #5.
Freshman Jason Zafiros was defeated in straight sets by Eric Spector 6-4, 6-4. This was the first lose of the season for Zafiros in singles play and ends his 15-match winning streak.
Arizona finished its non-conference schedule 15-1 and riding a 13-match winning streak heading into Pac-10 play.
The Wildcats will open Pac-10 play Friday in Eugene Ore. when they take on the Oregon Ducks at 1:30 p.m. Tucson time.
1) Francois VanderMerwe/Pat Metham (UA) def. Marc Dwyer/Alex Sanborn (NU) 9-7
2) Joshua Graves/Tobias Reitz (NU) def. Andres Arango/Andres Carrasco (UA) 9-7
3) Andrew McCarthy/Alexander Thams (NU) def. Jay Goldman/Ola Bakke (UA) 9-7
Order: 1, 2, 3
1) Jay Goldman (UA) def. Marc Dwyer (NU) 6-1, 6-2
2) Andres Arango (UA) def. Tobias Reitz (NU) 6-4, 6-3
3) Andres Carrasco (UA) def. Alexander Thams (NU) 3-6, 6-3, 6-2*
4) Josh Graves (NU) def. Ravid Hazi (UA) 6-4, 5-7, 5-2 UA leading (Default)
5) Pat Metham (UA) def. Alex Sanborn (NU) 6-3, 1-6, 7-6 (9-7)
6) Eric Spector (NU) def. Jason Zafiros (UA) 6-4, 6-4
Order: 1, 2, 6, 5, 3, 4
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
Thu 1/25 | 6:30pm PTLive