Men's Tennis Downs Cal, 5-2
March 28, 2009
Berkeley, Calif. - The No. 43-ranked California men's tennis team (8-7, 0-2 Pac-10) fell in a tough 5-2 loss to No. 11 UCLA (15-3, 2-0 Pac-10) today at the Hellman Tennis Complex. The Golden Bears will play one more home match on Tuesday, April 7, as they face Pepperdine for Senior Day. Sophomore Pedro Zerbini had one of Cal's two singles victories as he defeated No. 51-ranked Haythem Abid, 6-2, 6-4 on the top court for his team-high 18th singles win of the year.
The Bears and Bruins stayed close in doubles play as Cal's freshman tandem of Nick Andrews and Thai Tu fought Amit Inbar and Harel Srugo, tooth and nail before their Bruin counterparts claimed the final two games of the match to win, 8-6. Moments later, UCLA clinched the doubles point as Matt Brooklyn and Michael Look took an 8-3 win over sophomore Bozhidar Katsarov and senior Eoin Heavey and No. 2 doubles. With the point in hand, UCLA's top team of No. 58-ranked Abid and Nick Meister had to fend off a hard charge from No. 9-ranked senior Geoff Chizever and Zerbini to pull off the 9-8 upset, winning 7-4 in the tiebreaker.
With the first point of the match, the Bruins pulled out to a 2-0 lead as Inbar defeated sophomore Zach Gilbert at No. 6 singles, 6-3, 6-2. Cal answered back right away as Zerbini posted a strong upset win over Abid at the top court. UCLA responded, however, as No. 125-ranked Holden Seguso took out Andrews, 6-4, 6-2 at court two. No. 103-ranked Meister claimed the win for the Bruins as he defeated sophomore Jonathan Dahan, 6-1, 6-3 at No. 5 singles to make the score, 4-1.
After the match was clinched, courts three and four entered third-set super tiebreakers. Tu won his tiebreaker, 11-9, over No. 74-ranked Look at No. 3 singles to give Cal its second point of the day. At court four, Katsarov was unable to hold off No. 79 Brooklyn after fighting back to win a second-set tiebreaker, as he fell, 10-6.
UCLA returns home next week, hosting Oregon on April 3 at 1:30 p.m. and Washington on April 4 at 1:00 p.m.
No. 11 UCLA 5, No. 43 California 2
Hellman Tennis Complex | Berkeley, Calif.
Saturday, March 28, 2009
1. (58) Abid/Meister (UCLA) def. (9) Chizever/Zerbini (CAL) - 9-8(4)
2. Brooklyn/Look (UCLA) def. Heavey/Katsarov (CAL) - 8-3
3. Inbar/Harel Srugo (UCLA) def. N. Andrews/Tu (CAL) - 8-6
UCLA Wins Doubles Point -- Order of Finish: 3, 2, 1
1. Pedro Zerbini (CAL) def. (51) Haythem Abid (UCLA) 6-2, 6-4
2. (125) Holden Seguso (UCLA) def. Nick Andrews (CAL) 6-4, 6-2
3. Thai Tu (CAL) def. (74) Michael Look (UCLA) 7-6, 4-6, (11-9)
4. (79) Matt Brooklyn (UCLA) def. Bozhidar Katsarov (CAL) 6-3, 6-7, (10-6)
5. (103) Nick Meister (UCLA) def. Jonathan Dahan (CAL) 6-1, 6-3*
6. Amit Inbar (UCLA) def. Zach Gilbert (CAL) 6-3, 6-2
* Denotes Clinching Match -- Order of finish: 6, 1, 2, 5, 3, 4