Stanford Drops Second Match Of The Weekend, Falls To USC 4-3
March 28, 2009
STANFORD, Calif. - The fourth-ranked Stanford men's tennis team suffered its third-straight nail-biting 4-3 loss this afternoon, falling to eighth-ranked USC at the Taube Family Tennis Stadium. With the loss, the Cardinal drops to 12-4 on the season and 0-2 in the Pac-10.
The Trojans swept doubles to begin things, taking the point with a pair of 8-5 wins at No. 1 and No. 3 doubles. USC also took the third doubles match in a tiebreaker as freshmen Bradley Klahn and Ryan Thacher fell 8-7(3) to Matt Kecki and Jaak Poldma.
After giving up the doubles point, Stanford suffered a stroke of bad luck, as sophomore No. 13 Alex Clayton rolled his ankle on the first point of his match. After taking a medical timeout, Clayton elected to continue playing but dropped the third singles match to end to No. 101 Poldma, 6-3, 7-6(5).
Freshman Bradley Klahn picked up his ninth win in a row, taking down No. 92 Steve Johnson in straight sets, 7-6(6), 6-2 to tie the match at 1-1, but USC went back on the advantage 3-1 with the Poldma's win over Clayton and a win at No. 6 singles.
Junior No. 113 Richard Wire pulled the Cardinal closer with a win at the No. 5 position, defeating Jason McNaughton, 6-1, 7-6(7), and just when it looked like the Trojans would seal the deal, senior Matt Bruch accomplished a stunning comeback, battling his way back into the match from a 5-2 deficit in the third set to defeat Kecki 6-4, 4-6, 7-5.
USC eventually would play the spoiler though, as moments later No. 75 Abdullah Magdas stymied Thacher 7-6(), 6-7(2), 7-5 to steal the final point.
Stanford will be back on the courts Tuesday, March 31, at home against Cal Poly at 1 p.m.
Mar. 28, 2009 - Stanford, Calif.
No. 8 USC 4, No. 4 Stanford 3
1) No. 6 Farah/Johnson (USC) d. Bruch/Muller (STAN) 8-5
2) Magdas/Nguyen (USC) d. Thacher/Klahn (STAN) 8-7(3)
3) Kecki/Poldma (USC) d. Wire/Kelly (STAN) 8-5
Order of Finish: 1, 3, 2
1) No. 101 Jaak Poldma (USC) d. No. 13 Alex Clayton (STAN) 6-3, 7-6(5)
2) No. 53 Bradley Klahn (STAN) d. No. 92 Steve Johnson (USC) 7-6(6), 6-2
3) No. 75 Abdullah Magdas (USC) d. Ryan Thacher (STAN) 7-6(), 6-7(2), 7-5*
4) Matt Kecki (USC) d. Matt Bruch (STAN) 6-4, 4-6, 7-5
5) No. 113 Richard Wire (STAN) d. Jason McNaughton (USC) 6-1, 7-6(7)
6) Daniel Nguyen (USC) d. Blake Muller (STAN) 7-5, 6-2
Order of Finish: 2, 6, 1, 5, 4, 3*
* denotes clinching victory
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TODAY | 3:00pm PTLive
TODAY | 5:00pm PTLive
TODAY | 7:00pm PTLive