No. 20 Arizona Falls to No. 26 Washington, 6-1
March 29, 2009
The No. 20 Arizona men's tennis came into its match riding a 14-match winning streak. The No. 26 Washington Huskies got the better of the two teams by beating Arizona 6-1 Sunday afternoon in Seattle, Wash.
The Wildcats (16-2, 1-1) came into the match as one of the hottest teams in the country. Sunday was simply not their day. In addition to the teams winning streak being snapped, four players had their singles winning streak snapped.
Arizona fell behind 1-0 early after Washington won two of the three doubles matches. The No. 53 doubles team for Arizona Francois VanderMerwe and Pat Metham fell to the No. 44 duo of Patrik Fischer and Jeevan Nedunchezhiyan 8-1 in position No. 1. The same story for Arizona was happening at position No. 2 where the Huskies duo of No. 69 Derek Drabble and Martin Kildhal defeated Andres Arango and Andres Carrasco 8-3.
No. 64 Goldman fell short of his upset over No. 33 Nedunchezhiyan losing in three sets. Goldman took the first set 6-3, but lost the next two sets 6-4, 6-4. For the season, Goldman has a record of 9-4 in position No. 4.
Arango struggled in his match against No. 91 Fischer. Fischer defeated Arango 6-4, 6-2 in position No. 2. The loss snapped Arango's eight-match singles winning streak. For the season, Arango has a singles record of 14-3, 3-0 in position No.1 and 11-3 in position No. 2.
Junior Pat Metham, who's seven-match singles winning streak was snapped, fell to Derek Drabble in straight sets 7-6 (10), 6-2 in position No. 5.
After dropping the first set, sophomore Andres Carrasco was able to take the second set, but eventually lost in the third set to Martin Kildhal. The scores were 6-3, 2-6, 6-2. The loss to Kildhal snapped Carrasco's seven-match singles winning streak.
Freshman Jason Zafiros rebounded well after a slow start. Zafiros lost the first set 6-1, but fought back to win the second set 7-6 and then take the match with an 11-9 super tiebreaker in the third set. Zafiros has a 17-1 singles record.
Arizona will be in action again on Friday April 3, when they take on No. 4 Stanford Cardinal at 1:30 p.m. The match will be played at the LaNelle Robson Tennis Center. The first 100 fans will receive a free pom-pom to cheer on the Wildcats.
1) No. 44 Patrik Fischer/Jeevan Nedunchezhiyan (UW) def. Francois VanderMerwe/Pat Metham (UA) 8-1
2) No. 69 Derek Drabble/Martin Kildhal (UW) def. Andres Arango/Andres Carrasco (UA) 8-3
3) Jay Goldman/Ravid Hazi (UA) def. David Chu/Ryo Sekiguchi (UW) 8-5
Order: 1, 2, 3
1) No. 33 Jeevan Nedunchezhiyan (UW) def. No. 64 Jay Goldman (UA) 3-6, 6-4, 6-4
2) No. 91 Patrik Fischer (UW) def. Andres Arango (UA) 6-4, 6-2
3) Martin Kildhal (UW) def. Andres Carrasco (UA) 6-3, 2-6, 6-3
4) David Chu (UW) def. Ravid Hazi (UA) 6-1, 6-2
5) Derek Drabble (UW) def. Pat Metham (UA) 7-6 (10), 6-2*
6) Jason Zafiros (UA) def. Ryo Sekiguchi (UW) 1-6, 7-6, 11-9
Order: 4, 2, 5, 3, 6, 1