Stanford Bounces Back With 6-1 Victory Over Cal Poly
March 31, 2009
STANFORD, Calif. - The No.8 Stanford men's tennis team improved to 13-4 today with a 6-1 win over visiting Cal Poly at the Taube Family Tennis Stadium. The victory put an end to the Cardinal's three-game skid suffered over Stanford's spring break.
The Cardinal swept doubles, as the top pairing of freshmen Ryan Thacher and Bradley Klahn quickly turned in the first victory over Robert Foy and Darryn Young, 8-5. At No. 2 doubles, the nation's No. 34 duo of senior Blake Muller and junior Richard Wire came from behind to defeat Andrew Gerst and Alexander Sonesson, 8-6, and at the No. 3 position, sophomores Ted Kelly and Greg Hirshman put the icing on the cake with a 9-7 victory over Andre Dome and Blake Wardman.
After the break, Thacher earned the first singles point in favor of Stanford after only conceding one game to Drew Jacobs at No. 2 singles, and No. 117 Hirshman, ranked in the Campbell/ITA Collegiate Rankings as a singles player for the first time in his career, dropped Young 6-0, 6-1 for a 2-0 Stanford lead. At No. 1 singles, sophomore No. 22 Alex Clayton was given the day off, and in his place No. 50 Klahn captured his first career victory in the top slot, beating Gerst 6-0, 6-3 to seal the Cardinal victory and extend his personal win streak to 10 matches.
Finishing out Stanford scoring for the day, No. 102 Wire won at No. 3 over Wardman 7-5, 6-2 and Muller bested Sonesson in a third-set tiebreaker, 5-7, 6-4, 1-0(8).
The Cardinal will resume Pac-10 play this Friday, April 3 in Tucson, Ariz. with a 1:30 p.m. match against Arizona.
Mar. 31, 2009 - Stanford, Calif.
No. 8 Stanford 6, Cal Poly 1
1) Thacher/Klahn (STAN) d. Foy/Young (CP) 8-5
2) No. 34 Muller/Wire (STAN) d. Gerst/Sonesson (CP) 8-6
3) Kelly/Hirshman (STAN) d. Dome/Wardman (CP) 9-7
Order of Finish: 1, 2, 3
1) No. 50 Bradley Klahn (STAN) d. Andrew Gerst (CP) 6-0, 6-3*
2) Ryan Thacher (STAN) d. Drew Jacobs (CP) 6-1, 6-0
3) No. 102 Richard Wire (STAN) d. Blake Wardman (CP) 7-5, 6-2
4) Blake Muller (STAN) d. Alexander Sonesson (CP) 5-7, 6-4, 1-0 (8)
5) No. 117 Greg Hirshman (STAN) d. Darryn Young (CP) 6-0, 6-1
6) Robert Foy (CP) d. Ted Kelly (STAN) 6-4, 3-6, 1-0 (7)
Order of Finish: 2, 5, 1*, 3, 6, 4
* denotes clinching victory
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TODAY | 6:00pm PTLive
TODAY | 8:00pm PTLive