No. 10 Stanford Rolls Past No. 50 Sacramento State 6-1, Ups Home Streak To 145
April 1, 2009
STANFORD, Calif.- No. 10 Stanford kicked off its six-match homestand with a 6-1 victory over No. 50 Sacramento State on Wednesday afternoon at the Taube Family Tennis Stadium.
The Cardinal (13-3, 3-1 Pac-10) will play six of its seven April matches at home, a considerable advantage for the club down the stretch. Today's win over Sacramento State (12-8, 5-0 Big Sky) extended Stanford's home winning streak at the Taube Family Tennis Stadium to an unthinkable 145 in a row (117 in the regular season). The Cardinal's last loss in a home dual match occurred more than 10 years ago, in the form of a 5-4 setback to No. 4 California on Feb. 27, 1999.
Stanford has now won eight of its last nine overall while Sacramento State has won just five of its last 13 contests following a seven-game winning streak to begin the year.
The Cardinal swept all three doubles matches to take a 1-0 lead against the Hornets.
Hilary Barte and Jessica Nguyen cruised to dominating wins on courts one and three, respectively. Barte defeated Katrina Zheltova 6-1, 6-1 for her team-leading 24th victory of the year while improving to 16-4 against nationally-ranked opponents. Meanwhile, Nguyen routed Aileen Tsan 6-1, 6-0 for her eighth straight victory overall.
Jennifer Yen provided the clincher on court six, picking up her sixth win of the year with a 6-1, 6-2 triumph over Joyce Martinez Gutierrez.
Maria Meliuk defeated Lindsay Burdette 6-2, 1-6, (10-8) in the final match of the afternoon, resulting in Sacramento State's only point.
Stanford's homestand continues later this week against No. 59 Arizona (Friday, Apr. 3 at 1:30 p.m.) and No. 21 Arizona State (Saturday, Apr. 4 at 12 p.m.).
No. 10 Stanford 6, No. 50 Sacramento State 1
1) No. 11 Barte/Burdette (STAN) d. No. 78 Valenzuela/Zheltova (SAC) 8-4
2) No. 57 McVeigh/Nguyen (STAN) d. Baca/Martinez (SAC) 8-6
3) Logan Hansen/Li (STAN) d. Meliuk/Tsan (SAC) 8-6
Order of Finish: 1, 3, 2
1) No. 11 Hilary Barte (STAN) d. No. 110 Katrina Zheltova (SAC) 6-1, 6-1
2) Maria Meliuk (SAC) d. No. 122 Lindsay Burdette (STAN) 6-2, 1-6, (10-8)
3) No. 83 Jessica Nguyen (STAN) d. Aileen Tsan (SAC) 6-1, 6-0
4) Veronica Li (STAN) d. Melissa Valenzuela (SAC) 6-3, 6-4
5) Carolyn McVeigh (STAN) d. Clarisse Baca (SAC) 6-2, 6-1
6) Jennifer Yen (STAN) d. Joyce Martinez Gutierrez (SAC) 6-1, 6-2
Order of Finish: 1, 3, 6, 4, 5, 2