Ninth-Ranked UCLA Men's Tennis Team Blanks Oregon, 7-0
April 3, 2009
LOS ANGELES - The ninth-ranked UCLA men's tennis team picked up its fourth shutout of the season on Friday, registering a 7-0 victory over Oregon at the Los Angeles Tennis Center. With the win, the Bruins improve to 13-4 overall and 3-0 in the Pac-10. The Ducks drop their record to 9-11 and 0-2 in conference play.
Friday marked the successful return of Bruin senior Harel Srugo to the singles lineup, as he had missed the last nine matches due to injury. Playing his first singles match since the ITA National Team Indoors in February, Srugo downed Oregon's Ayrton Wibowo, 6-2, 2-6, 6-1 at court No. 3.
Two other Bruin firsts on Friday came when sophomore Holden Seguso notched his first win at the No. 1 position, and Eugen Brazdil got his first dual-match singles win, losing just three games in a 6-2, 6-1 victory over Sho Higuchi at court No. 6.
UCLA returns to action tomorrow, hosting No. 21 Washington at the LATC beginning at 1:00 p.m.
1. Michael Look/Meister (UCLA) def. Cornelissen/Verdasco (UO) - 8-4
2. (61) Inbar/Srugo (UCLA) def. Mike Myrhed/Wibowo (UO) - 8-1
3. Brazdil/Seguso (UCLA) def. Higuchi/Izquierdo (UO) - 8-3
UCLA Wins Doubles Point - Order of Finish: 2, 3, 1
1. Holden Seguso (UCLA) def. Marcos Verdasco (UO) - 6-1, 2-0 Ret.
2. (114) Nick Meister (UCLA) def. Alexander Cornelissen (UO) - 7-6(3), 6-1
3. Harel Srugo (UCLA) def. Ayrton Wibowo (UO) - 6-2, 2-6, 6-1
4. Amit Inbar (UCLA) def. Jose' Izquierdo (UO) - 6-4, 2-6, (10-2)
5. Ahmed Ismail (UCLA) def. Duncan MacDonald-Korth (UO) - 6-1, 6-4*
6. Eugen Brazdil (UCLA) def. Sho Higuchi (UO) - 6-2, 6-1
* Denotes Clinching Match -- Order of Finish: 1, 6, 5, 2, 4, 3