No. 21 Women's Tennis Take Doubles Point In 5-2 Loss To No. 8 California
April 3, 2009
BERKELEY, Calif.--The 21st ranked Arizona State Women's Tennis team battled it out against eighth-ranked California, but were ultimately overpowered 5-2 in the conference match. The loss drops ASU to 10-5 (3-1 Pac-10) while the Golden Bears move up to 13-4 (4-1 Pac-10) on the season.
Doubles play got off to a rocky start for the Devils as thirteenth-ranked duo Micaela Hein and Kelcy McKenna fell to No. 6 Mari Andersson and Jana Juricova 8-2 on court one. However the team quickly recovered as 71st-ranked sisters Laila and Nadia Abdala upset 20th ranked Marina Cossou and Claire Ilcinkas 8-4 in the number two spot. On court three Ashlee Brown and Sianna Simmons fought off Cal's Bojana Bobusic and Stephany Chang to triumph 8-6.
Singles action, however, would not be as rewarding for the Devils, as Ashlee Brown was defeated by No. 47 Claire Ilcinkas 6-2,6-1 on court four. Although the 53rd-ranked Nadia Abdala upset No. 42 Mari Andersson in their last meeting in Tempe, Andersson exacted her revenge, defeating Abdala 6-2, 6-0 in the number two spot. On court one No. 10 Jana Juricova upset No. 3 Kelcy McKenna 6-1, 6-2. Juricova has been the only player McKenna has not been able to beat so far this season. In the number three spot, Laila Abdala felt the power of the Bears and No. 21 Bojana Bobusic triumphed 6-3, 6-2. The Devils' lone singles victory came from freshman Michelle Brycki who took down Marion Ravelojaona 6-4, 7-5. Sianna Simmons wrapped up singles action with a tough loss to Cal's Stephany Chang 6-3, 3-6, 1-0(9).
The Devils remain in the Bay Area for another exciting round of conference play, taking on the No. 10 Stanford Cardinal tomorrow, April 4, at 12:00 p.m.
No. 8 California 5, No. 21 Arizona State 2
Hellman Tennis Complex | Berkeley, Calif.
Friday, April 3, 2009
1. No. 6 Andersson/Juricova (CAL) def. No. 13 Hein/McKenna (ASU) 8-2
2. No. 71 Abdala/Abdala (ASU) def. No. 20 Cossou/Ilcinkas (CAL) 8-4
3. Brown/Simmons (ASU) def. Bobusic/Chang (CAL) 8-6
Order of finish: 1, 2, 3* (Arizona State wins doubles point)
1. No. 10 Jana Juricova (CAL) def. No. 3 Kelcy McKenna (ASU) 6-1, 6-2
2. No. 42 Mari Andersson (CAL) def. No. 53 Nadia Abdala (ASU) 6-2, 6-0
3. No. 21 Bojana Bobusic (CAL) def. Laila Abdala (ASU) 6-3, 6-2
4. No. 47 Claire Ilcinkas (CAL) def. Ashlee Brown (ASU) 6-2, 6-1
5. Michelle Brycki (ASU) def. Marion Ravelojaona (CAL) 6-4, 7-5
6. Stephany Chang (CAL) def. Sianna Simmons (ASU) 6-3, 3-6, 1-0(9)
Order of finish: 4, 2, 1, 3*, 5, 6