No. 20 Arizona drops home finale
April 4, 2009
TUCSON - The No. 20 Arizona Wildcats (17-3, 2-2) game into Saturday's match against No. 44 California hoping to go a perfect 15-0 at home. However, the Golden Bears had other plans as they gave the Wildcats its first home loss at the LaNelle Robson Tennis this season with a 4-2 win.
A day after Arizona upset No. 8 Stanford, the Wildcats came out of the gate slow, falling behind the Golden Bears 1-0 after dropping the doubles point.
Senior Francois VanderMerwe, playing his final home match, and junior Pat Metham battled against one of the top doubles team in the Pac-10, No. 13 Geoff Chizever and Pedro Zerbini. California's duo proved to be too much and took the match 8-4 in position No. 1.
On court No. 3, Arizona's duo of sophomore Jay Goldman and junior Ravid Hazi dropped their first match on court No.3 when paired together. Goldman and Hazi were defeated by Nick Andrews and Thai Tu 8-5.
Arizona quickly tied the match at 1-1 when Arango defeated Eoin Heavey 6-1, 6-0 in position No. 2
The only other Wildcat who won their single's match was Carrasco who defeated Nick Andrews 6-4, 6-2.
Goldman, who played on position No. 1, fell short of a comeback when he lost to Pedro Zerbini 6-4, 4-6, 6-3.
Arizona will hit the road for the season finale when they travel to Los Angeles, Calif., to take on No. 6 USC on Friday April 10, at 1:30 p.m.
1) No. 13 Geoff Chizever/Pedro Zerbini (CAL) def. No. 80 Francois VanderMerwe/Pat Metham (UA) 8-4
2) Andres Arango/Andres Carrasco (UA) vs. Jonathan Dahan/Bozhidar Katsarov (CAL) DNF
3) Nick Andrews/Thai Tu (CAL) def. Jay Goldman/Ravid Hazi 8-5
Order: 1, 3, 2
1) No. 81 Pedro Zerbini (CAL) def. No. 68 Jay Goldman (UA) 6-4, 4-6, 6-3*
2) Andres Arango (UA) def. Eoin Heavey (CAL) 6-1, 6-0
3) Andres Carrasco (UA) def. Nick Andrews (CAL) 6-4, 6-2
4) Thai Tu (CAL) def. Ravid Hazi (UA) 7-5, 7-6(7-1)
5) Bozhidar Katsarov (CAL) def. Pat Metham (UA) 6-2, 6-0
6) Jason Zafiros (UA) vs. Jonathan Dahan (CAL) DNF
Order: 2, 5, 3, 4, 1, 6