No. 21 Women's Tennis Overcome By No. 10 Stanford
April 4, 2009
STANFORD, Calif.-- The 10th-ranked Stanford Cardinal proved too much for the No. 21 Sun Devils, who narrowly escaped a shut out in a 6-1 decision. The loss drops ASU to 10-6 (3-2 Pac-10) on the season, while Stanford advances 15-3 (5-1 Pac-10).
In doubles, the ASU team found it difficult to shake the Cardinal as No. 57 Carolyn McVeigh and Jessica Nguyen dispatched No. 71 Laila and Nadia Abdala 8-1 in the number two spot. On court one, Stanford's 11th-ranked duo Hilary Barte and Lindsay Burdette overpowered No. 13 Micaela Hein and Kelcy McKenna 8-2. The loss gives them an even 6-6 record on the season. Court 3 saw an intense battle from Ashlee Brown and Sianna Simmons, yet they were ultimately overcome by Logan Hansen and Veronica Li 8-5.
The Devils came back strong in singles play, as Sianna Simmons vanquished Logan Hansen 6-3, 6-1 on court six. The remainer of the match would prove be a series of upsets however as No. 122 Lindsay Burdette upset No. 53 Nadia Abdala 6-2, 6-4 in the number two spot. On court one No. 3 Kelcy McKenna fought it out against 11th-ranked opponent Hilary Barte, but could not hold off the assault, falling 6-3. McKenna's partner, No. 92 Micaela Hein, was also faced with defeat on court four, as unranked Veronica Li upset Hein 6-3, 6-3. In the number three position, senior Laila Abdala kept up the pace in the first set, closing in on No. 83 Jessica Nguyen 6-4, but was ultimately beat 6-1. Rounding out the day was Carolyn McVeigh's court five win over freshman Michelle Brycki. Brycki held her own in the first set, doing away with her opponent 2-6. McVeigh battled back quickly and claimed the match 6-3, (10-4) for the Cardinal.
The Devils will now head back home where they face the UCLA Bruins in conference play next Friday, April 10 at 1:30 p.m. in Tempe at ASU's Whiteman Tennis Center.
No. 10 Stanford 6, No. 21 Arizona State 1
1) No. 11 Barte/Burdette (STAN) d. No. 13 Hein/McKenna (ASU) 8-2
2) No. 57 McVeigh/Nguyen (STAN) d. No. 71 Abdala/Abdala (ASU) 8-1
3) Hansen/Li (STAN) d. Brown/Simmons (ASU) 8-5
Order of Finish: 2, 1, 3
1) No. 11 Hilary Barte (STAN) d. No. 3 Kelcy McKenna (ASU) 6-3, 6-3
2) No. 122 Lindsay Burdette (STAN) d. No. 53 Nadia Abdala (ASU) 6-2, 6-4
3) No. 83 Jessica Nguyen (STAN) d. Laila Abdala (ASU) 6-4, 6-1
4) Veronica Li (STAN) d. No. 92 Micaela Hein (ASU) 6-3, 6-3
5) Carolyn McVeigh (STAN) d. Michelle Brycki (ASU) 2-6, 6-3, (10-4)
6) Sianna Simmons (ASU) d. Logan Hansen (STAN) 6-3, 6-1
Order of Finish: 6, 2, 1, 4, 3, 5
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TOMORROW | 11:00am PTLive