No. 6 USC Sweeps Oregon
April 4, 2009
LOS ANGELES, Calif. - The No. 6 USC Trojans earned the sweep against the Oregon Ducks on Saturday (April 4) afternoon at Marks Stadium. The win brings the Trojans to 17-4 overall and drops the Ducks to 9-12 overall.
In doubles play, No. 3 Andrew Kells/Matt Kecki turned in a strong performance, defeating Sho Higuchi/Jose Izquierdo 8-2 to get the first win for the Trojans on the afternoon. No. 2 Steve Johnson/Jaak Poldma defeated Duncan MacDonald-Korth/Ayrton Wibowo 8-5 to clinch the doubles point for the Trojans. Finishing out doubles play was the No. 1 combination of Abdullah Magdas/Daniel Nguyen who beat Marcos Verdasco/Alexander Cornelissen 8-5. USC took a 1-0 lead into singles play.
In singles play, USC got their second point of the match with Verdasco of Oregon retiring from the No. 1 match against Poldma with the score 5-0 USC in the first set. USC had a dominating performance from freshman Nguyen who beat UO's Izquierdo 6-1, 6-0 to bring the match score to 3-0. Out of the No. 3 spot, Kecki defeated Wibowo 6-3, 7-5 to clinch the match victory for the Trojans, 4-0. Sophomore Daniel Gliner took care of UO's Higuchi to win 6-2, 6-4. No. 2 Johnson struggled at the beginning, dropping the first set 6-4, but came back strong with a 6-3 second set win and the third set tirebreaker 10-4. An evenly matched battle between USC's Jason McNaughton and UO's MacDonald-Korth, ended with a USC win, 7-5, 7-5 to complete the sweep, 7-0.
Next up for the No. 6 Trojans is a match up with Arizona on Friday (April 10) at 1 p.m.
USC 7, UO 0
(1) Magdas/Nguyen (USC) def. Verdasco/Cornelissen (UO) - 8-5
(2) Johnson/Poldma (USC) def. MacDonald-Korth/Wibowo (UO) - 8-5
(3) Kells/Kecki (USC) def. Higuchi/Izquierdo (UO) - 8-2
Order of finish: 3, 2*, 1
(1) Jaak Poldma (USC) def. Marcos Verdasco (UO) - 5-0, Ret.
(2) Steve Johnson (USC) def. Alexander Cornelissen (UO) - 4-6, 6-3, 10-4
(3) Matt Kecki (USC) def. Ayrton Wibowo (UO) - 6-3, 7-5
(4) Daniel Nguyen (USC) def. Jose' Izquierdo (UO) - 6-1, 6-0
(5) Jason McNaughton (USC) def. Duncan MacDonald-Korth (UO) - 7-5, 7-5
(6) Daniel Gliner (USC) def. Sho Higuchi (UO) - 6-2, 6-4
Order of finish: 1, 4, 3*, 6, 2, 5
TODAY | 4:00pm PTLive
TODAY | 7:00pm PTLive
TOMORROW | 4:00pm PTLive