No. 11 UCLA Edges No. 25 Arizona State
April 10, 2009
Tempe, Ariz. - The No. 11 UCLA women's tennis team was swept in doubles play but rebounded to win four singles matches on Friday to register a 4-3 come-from-behind victory over No. 25 Arizona State at the Whiteman Tennis Center.
With the score tied 3-3, Friday's contest was eventually decided at court No. 1 where UCLA's 16th-ranked Yasmin Schnack and third-ranked Kelcy McKenna of ASU played three straight tiebreakers. Schnack, who lost to McKenna in the first meeting between the two teams earlier this season, lost the first set on Friday but battled back to win the next two sets for a 6-7, 7-6, 7-6 win, giving UCLA the 4-3 victory.
Other singles winners for UCLA (16-5; 4-2 Pac-10) on Friday were Maya Johansson, Ashley Joelson and Carling Seguso. The Bruins, who were actually down 3-2 late in the match, won the final two singles matches of the day, as Johansson set up Schnack's match-clinching victory with a 7-6, 7-6 decision over Laila Abdala at court No. 3.
With the loss, ASU drops its record to 10-7 overall and 3-3 in the Pac-10. UCLA, which defeated ASU by the same score back on March 12 at the Los Angeles Tennis Center, improves to 16-5 and 4-2 in the Pac-10.
UCLA travels to Tucson tomorrow for a Noon meeting with Arizona.
1. (13) Hein/McKenna (ASU) def. (2) Reymense/Schnack (UCLA) - 8-1
2. (71) L. Abdala/N. Abdala (ASU) def. (30) Seguso/ Stephanie Wetmore (UCLA) - 8-3
3. Ashlee Brown/Simmons (ASU) def. Joelson/Pantic (UCLA) - 9-7
ASU Wins Doubles Point
1. (16) Yasmin Schnack (UCLA) def. (3) Kelcy McKenna (ASU) - 6-7, 7-6, 7-6*
2. (53) Nadia Abdala (ASU) def. (45) Andrea Remynse (UCLA) - 6-1, 6-2
3. (90) Maya Johansson (UCLA) def. Laila Abdala (ASU) - 7-6, 7-6
4. (92) Micaela Hein (ASU) def. Nina Pantic (UCLA) - 7-6, 6-2
5. Ashley Joelson (UCLA) def. Michelle Brycki (ASU) - 6-4, 6-2
6. Carling Seguso (UCLA) def. Sianna Simmons (ASU) - 6-2, 7-5
* Denotes Clinching Match -- Order of Finish: 5, 2, 4, 6, 3, 1
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TOMORROW | 6:00pm PTLive
Thu 5/24 | 4:00pm PTLive
Thu 5/24 | 7:00pm PTLive