Ninth-Ranked Bruins Take 5-2 Victory over No. 18 Wildcats
April 11, 2009
LOS ANGELES - The ninth-ranked UCLA men's tennis team pushed its winning streak to eight on Saturday, posting a 5-2 victory over No. 18 Arizona at the Los Angeles Tennis Center. The win makes next Friday's showdown with No. 6 USC even more important, as the winner of that match will be crowed the 2009 Pac-10 champion. Both teams enter the final match of the regular season with identical 5-0 records in conference play. The Bruins are looking to capture the program's sixth straight Pac-10 title.
UCLA (15-4; 5-0 Pac-10) captured the doubles point on Saturday when Michael Look and Nick Meister notched an 8-2 upset over 80th-ranked Pat Metham/Francois VanderMerwe at court No. 1. That win was preceded by an 8-1 win by Amit Inbar and Harel Srugo at court No. 2.
The Bruins then went on to take the first three singles matches, eventually moving out to an insurmountable 4-0 lead following straight set wins by Meister (court No. 5), Inbar (court No. 6) and Look (court No. 3).
Arizona (17-4; 2-3) then got on the board when Ravid Hazi benefitted from Srugo's retirement at court No. 4. Hazi was leading 7-6, 4-3 at the time of retirement. The Wildcats' second point of the day came at court No. 1, where 68th-ranked Jay Goldman downed Holden Seguso, 6-2, 7-5.
UCLA junior Matt Brooklyn accounted for the team's fifth point at court No. 2, rebounding from a first set loss to eventually defeat Andres Arango, 6-7, 6-4, (10-6).
UCLA still has one more match before its crucial conference showdown with USC next Friday, as the Bruins will travel to Malibu on Monday to take on Pepperdine at 3:00 p.m.
Friday's match against the Trojans will be at the Los Angeles Tennis Center beginning at 3:00 p.m. UCLA already owns a victory over USC this season, winning 4-3 back on March 5 at the Marks Tennis Stadium.
Pac-10 Men's Tennis
#9 UCLA 5, #18 Arizona 2
April 11, 2009 - Los Angeles Tennis Center
1. Look/Meister (UCLA) def. (80) Metham/Francois VanderMerwe (UA) - 8-2
2. (61) Inbar/Harel Srugo (UCLA) def. Arango/Carrasco (UA) - 8-1
3. Bakke/Hazi (UA) def. Eugen Brazdil/Brooklyn (UCLA) - 7-6(6)
UCLA Wins Doubles Point -- Order of Finish: 2, 1, 3
1. (68) Jay Goldman (UA) def. Holden Seguso (UCLA) - 6-2, 7-5
2. (95) Matt Brooklyn (UCLA) def. Andres Arango (UA) - 6-7, 6-4, (10-6)
3. (119) Michael Look (UCLA) def. Andres Carrasco (UA) - 6-0, 7-5
4. Ravid Hazi (UA) def. Harel Srugo (UCLA) - 7-6, 4-3 Ret.
5. (114) Nick Meister (UCLA) def. Pat Metham (UA) - 6-4, 6-2
6. Amit Inbar (UCLA) def. Ola Bakke (UA) - 6-2, 6-3
* Denotes Clinching Match -- Order of Finish: 5, 6, 3, 4, 1 ,2
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TOMORROW | 7:00pm PTLive
Fri 12/15 | 5:00pm PTLive
Fri 12/15 | 7:00pm PTLive