Stanford Earns Second Pac-10 Victory With 6-1 Win Over Washington
April 11, 2009
SEATTLE - The No. 8 Stanford men's tennis team completed a weekend sweep of the Northwest Pac-10 schools this afternoon after defeating No. 21 Washington 6-1 in Seattle.The Cardinal is now 16-5 overall and 2-3 in Pac-10 play.
The Huskies threatened at doubles, taking the No. 1 match 8-4 over the freshmen duo of Ryan Thacher and Bradley Klahn, but Stanford fought back, as sophomores Ted Kelly and Greg Hirshman teamed up for the 8-6 victory over Tobi Obenaus and Alex Rosinski at the No. 3 position to even it up. Then, the Cardinal secured the doubles point when the No. 34 pair of junior Richard Wire and Blake Muller bested No. 43 Patrik Fischer and Jeevan Nedunchezhiyan in a close one, 9-8(8).
Washington's Ryo Sekiguchi tied up the match 1-1 with a win at No. 6 singles over senior Jeff Zeller, 6-3, 6-4, but that was all that Stanford would allow the Huskies to get, as the Cardinal went on to win the other five singles matches. No. 50 Klahn, No. 117 Hirshman, and Thacher all earned straight-set victories to make sure Stanford came out on top, while the final two matches went to third-set tiebreakers. No. 102 Wire came back from faulting in the first set 4-6 to defeat David Chu 6-2 in the second set and 10-6 in the tiebreaker, and Muller took down Derek Drabble 7-6(4), 3-6, 1-0 (9) to finish out the day.
The Cardinal will finish out the regular season this week with a non-conference matchup against San Francisco on Wednesday, April 15 at 1:30 p.m. and wrap up Pac-10 play with senior day festivities on Saturday, April 18 at 1 p.m. Both matches will be played at home at the Taube Family Tennis Stadium.
April 11, 2009 - Seattle, Wash.
No. 8 Stanford 6, No. 21 Washington 1
1) Drabble/Kildahl (UW) d. Thacher/Klahn (STAN) 8-4
2) No. 34 Wire/Muller (STAN) d. No. 43 Fischer/Nedunchezhiyan (UW) 9-8 (8)
3) Kelly/Hirshman (STAN) d. Obenaus/Rosinski (UW) 8-6
Order of Finish: 1, 3, 2
1) No. 50 Bradley Klahn (STAN) d. No. 113 Patrik Fischer (UW) 6-2, 6-3
2) Ryan Thacher (STAN) d. Martin Kildahl (UW) 6-4, 6-2*
3) No. 102 Richard Wire (STAN) d. David Chu (UW) 4-6, 6-2, 1-0 (6)
4) Blake Muller (STAN) d. Derek Drabble (UW) 7-6(4), 3-6, 1-0 (9)
5) No. 117 Greg Hirshman (STAN) d. Tobi Obenaus (UW) 6-1, 6-1
6) Ryo Sekiguchi (UW) d. Jeff Zeller (STAN) 6-3, 6-4
Order of Finish: 6, 1, 5, 2*, 3, 4
*denotes clinching victory
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TODAY | 6:00pm PTLive
TODAY | 8:00pm PTLive