Eighth-Ranked Stanford Breezes Past San Francisco, 7-0
April 15, 2009
STANFORD, Calif. - The eighth-ranked Stanford men's tennis team cruised to yet another shutout victory today, its sixth of the season, defeating San Francisco 7-0 at the Taube Family Tennis Stadium.
The Cardinal was relentless from beginning to end, starting with a sweep at doubles in which Stanford only faltered in five games total in all three matches.
In singles, the story was much the same, as the Cardinal recorded straight-set victories in all six positions. No. 119 sophomore Greg Hirshman recorded his third-straight win with a 6-0, 6-1 victory over Mitch del Rosario and No. 52 freshman Bradley Klahn picked up his fourth triumph in a row, besting No. 115 Tommy Tu 6-2, 6-3 to make it 3-0, before redshirt senior Jeff Zeller stepped up at the No. 6 spot, securing the match for Stanford with a 6-2, 6-1 win over Karill Karchmit.
The Cardinal then completed the shutout as senior Blake Muller and freshman Ryan Thacher, who are both currently on six-match win streaks, won at No. 4 and No. 2, while No. 122 junior Richard Wire finished the day with a win at No. 3 over Einar Hart, 6-4, 6-2.
Stanford wraps up the regular season this Saturday, April 18 at home with the Pac-10 finale against California at 1 p.m. The match will also serve as senior day, honoring Matt Bruch, Muller, and Zeller.
April 15, 2009 - Stanford, Calif.
No. 8 Stanford 7, San Francisco 0
1) Thacher/Klahn (STAN) d. No. 87 Tu/Cohen (USF) 8-1
2) No. 30 Wire/Muller (STAN) d. del Rosario/Ching (USF) 8-1
3) Clayton/Bruch (STAN) d. Hart/Nachbauer (USF) 8-3
Order of Finish: 2, 3, 1
1) No. 52 Bradley Klahn (STAN) d. No. 115 Tommy Tu (USF) 6-2, 6-3
2) Ryan Thacher (STAN) d. Rainer Nachbauer (USF) 6-2, 6-1
3) No. 122 Richard Wire (STAN) d. Einar Hart (USF) 6-4, 6-2
4) Blake Muller (STAN) d. Jacob Hartwig (USF) 6-2, 6-2
5) No. 119 Greg Hirshman (STAN) d. Mitch del Rosario (USF) 6-0, 6-1
6) Jeff Zeller (STAN) d. Karill Karchmit (USF) 6-2, 6-1*
Order of Finish: 5, 1, 6*, 4, 2, 3
* denotes clinching victory