No. 7 USC Men Slip In Pac-10 Finale To No. 9 UCLA
April 17, 2009
WESTWOOD, CALIF. - The No. 7 USC men's tennis team slipped up against crosstown rival UCLA, falling 5-2 in a regular-season finale that would determine this year's outright Pac-10 champion. The Bruins captured the doubles point and held off a comeback push by the Trojans to take the win and the conference crown away from USC. Today's loss at the Los Angeles Tennis Center puts USC at a 19-5 overall record and a 5-1 Pac-10 finish with the postseason coming up.
UCLA's early advantage came when the Bruins answered a doubles win from the Trojans to kick off the match. USC's #2 Robert Farah / Steve Johnson topped Bruins Look/Meister 8-3, but UCLA got an 8-3 win from Brooklyn/Seguso over Matt Kecki / Jaak Poldma next at No. 3. Securing the doubles point for the Bruins was Inbar/Srugo at No. 2, as the Bruins topped USC's Abdullah Magdas / Daniel Nguyen 8-4 to put UCLA up 1-0 and bring up singles action.
The Bruins got ahead 3-0 in the match with singles wins at No. 5 and No. 6. Nick Meister beat USC freshman Matt Kecki 6-0, 6-3 first at No. 5, and Amit Inbar topped another Trojan freshman Daniel Nguyen 6-3, 6-4 at No. 6 to build the Bruin advantage. From his No. 1 slot, USC's #4 Robert Farah got the Trojans back in the game with a 7-5, 6-3 win over #95 Matt Brooklyn to make it 3-1. USC freshman #63 Steve Johnson made it a one-point match by holding court over #116 Michael Look with a 2-6, 6-4, 6-3 comeback from the No. 3 position next. That left two other matches raging in decisive third sets. At No. 2, however, UCLA's #49 decided things first with a 4-6, 6-4, 6-4 win over USC's #81 Jaak Poldma. Up 4-2 with the win in hand, UCLA made it 5-2 when Holden Seguso edged #84 Abdullah Magdas 7-6, 3-6, 7-5 at No. 4 to wrap up the match and the Pac-10 title for the host Bruins.
USC's next action takes the Trojans into individual competition at the Pac-10 Championships in Ojai, Calif. from April 23-26.
#9 UCLA 5, #7 USC 2
April 17, 2009 - Los Angeles Tennis Center
(1) #2 Farah/Johnson (USC) def. Look/Meister (UCLA) - 8-3
(2) Inbar/Harel Srugo (UCLA) def. Magdas/Nguyen (USC) - 8-4
(3) Brooklyn/Seguso (UCLA) def. Kecki/Poldma (USC) - 8-3
UCLA wins doubles point.
Order of finish: 1, 3, 2
(1) #4 Robert Farah (USC) def. #95 Matt Brooklyn (UCLA) - 7-5, 6-3
(2) #49 Haythem Abid (UCLA) def. #81 Jaak Poldma (USC) - 4-6, 6-4, 6-4*
(3) #63 Steve Johnson (USC) def. #116 Michael Look (UCLA) - 2-6, 6-4, 6-3
(4) Holden Seguso (UCLA) def. #84 Abdullah Magdas (USC) - 7-6, 3-6, 7-5
(5) Nick Meister (UCLA) def. Matt Kecki (USC) - 6-0, 6-3
(6) Amit Inbar (UCLA) def. Daniel Nguyen (USC) - 6-3, 6-4
Order of finish: 5, 6, 1, 3, 2*, 4