No. 8 Men's Tennis Tops No. 39 California 5-2 On Senior Day
April 18, 2009
STANFORD, Calif.- No. 8 Stanford cruised past No. 39 California 6-1 on Saturday afternoon, experiencing little trouble in its final dual match of the regular season while sweeping the season series against its rivals.
The Cardinal improved to 18-5 overall and 3-3 in the Pac-10 play with the win, while the Golden Bears are now 10-10 and 2-4 in conference competition.
Saturday's match proved to be another step in building momentum toward the postseason, as Stanford has now won five in a row since dropping four of its previous five contests.
The club's recent winning streak could likely result in Stanford serving as a host site for the NCAA first and second rounds for the first time since 2006, given the Cardinal has been ranked among the top-10 for much of the year and even occupied the No. 1 spot in the country during the first week of March.
Stanford locked up the doubles point to take a 1-0 lead, with the top duo of Bradley Klahn and Ryan Thacher providing the clincher with an 8-6 victory over California's 15th-ranked team of Geoff Chizever and Pedro Zerbini.
California picked up a quick win at the No. 5 position to even the match at 1-1, with Bozhidar Katsarov defeating Matt Bruch 6-1, 6-2.
But the Cardinal responded with straight-set victories on three of the remaining four courts to clinch the match. After Richard Wire and Alex Clayton posted wins on courts five and two, respectively, Thacher held on for a 6-4, 7-5 triumph over Nick Andrews at the No. 3 spot.
Next up for Stanford is the Pac-10 Championships in Ojai, Calif., from Apr. 23-26.
No. 8 Stanford 6, No. 39 California 1
1) Klahn/Thacher (STAN) d. No. 15 Chizever/Zerbini (CAL) 8-6
2) No. 30 Muller/Wire (STAN) d. Dahan/Katsarov (CAL) 8-5
3) Andrews/Tu (CAL) d. Bruch/Clayton (STAN) 8-7
Order of Finish: 2, 1, 3
clinching match: No. 1
1) No. 52 Bradley Klahn (STAN) d. No. 58 Pedro Zerbini (CAL) 3-6, 6-0, 6-2
2) No. 20 Alex Clayton (STAN) d. Eoin Heavey (CAL) 6-4, 6-4
3) Ryan Thacher (STAN) d. Nick Andrews (CAL) 6-4, 7-5
4) Bozhidar Katsarov (CAL) d. Matt Bruch (STAN) 6-1, 6-2
5) No. 122 Richard Wire (STAN) d. Thai Tu (CAL) 6-2, 7-5
6) Blake Muller (STAN) d. Jonathan Dahan (CAL) 6-4, 6-4
Order of Finish: 4, 5, 2, 3, 1, 6
clinching match: No. 3
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TODAY | 6:00pm PTLive
TOMORROW | 7:00pm PTLive
Thu 10/19 | 3:00pm PTLive