Rodriguez Finishes Sixth on Floor, Seventh on Vault
April 18, 2009
LINCOLN, Neb. - Oregon State junior Mandi Rodriguez earned on a spot on the podium on the floor exercise and vault in the NCAA Championship Individual Event Finals Saturday night. Rodriguez finished sixth on the floor and seventh on the vault.
Rodriguez drew a tough competition slot, performing between reigning vault champion, Susan Jackson from LSU and all-everything Courtney Kupets from Georgia. Rodriguez's competed as the second vaulter in the second flight, and eighth overall, took a small hop on her first vault, which was her customary Yurchenko layout with a full twist to score 9.850. On her second vault, a Yurchenko layout with a full twist in the tuck position, she took a small step to score 9.725 for a total score of 9.7875.
On the floor exercise, Rodriguez drew the second slot in the first flight. She delighted the crowd nailing her giant tumbling runs and dramatic choreography scoring 9.8625.
'There are no words to describe how I feel,' Rodriguez said. 'I would have loved to make it to Super Six with my team, but to make two events at Individual Finals was another goal of mine. I've been working for this since nationals ended last year and it is great to know that my work has paid off. I'm very lucky to have had this opportunity to compete with so many great gymnasts today.'
'I'm really proud of Mandi,' head coach Tanya Chaplin said. 'She did an outstanding job for Oregon State all season and had a fantastic performance again tonight. This is another great accomplishment for a wonderful gymnast.
Rodriguez is the first OSU gymnast to earn multiple All-American awards in the same season since Chari Knight accomplished the feat in 1994.
This is the fourth straight year that Oregon State has had an All-American on the vault. Tasha Smith earned All-American honors in 2006 and 2007, Rodriguez also earned All-American status in 2007 and Yuki Lamb was honored in 2008.
1. Ashleigh Clare-Kearney (LSU), 9.9000
2. Susan Jackson (LSU), 9.8938
3. Courtney Kupets (Georgia), Kristina Baskett (Utah), 9.8563
5. Michelle Stout (Arkansas), 9.8375
6. Jessica Lopez (Denver), 9.8313
7. Mandi Rodriguez (Oregon State), 9.7875
8. Whitney Bencsko (Penn State), Vanessa Zamarripa (UCLA), 9.7813
10. Staci Schwitkis (LSU), 9.6813
11. Sarah Shire (Missouri), 9.5000
12. Maranda Smith (Florida), 9.4063
Uneven Bars Results
1. Courtney Kupets (Georgia), 9.9500
2. Carly Janiga (Stanford), 9.9125
3. Alicia Goodwin (Florida), Kristina Baskett (Utah), 9.9000
5. Kathryn Ding (Georgia), Ariana Berlin (UCLA), 9.8875
7. Melanie Sinclair (Florida), Michelle Stout (Arkansas), 9.8625
9. Ashleigh Clare-Kearney (LSU), 9.8500
10. Nicole Ourada (Stanford), Morgan Dennis (Alabama), 9.8125
12. Ashley Preiss (Alabama), 9.8000
13. Alexandra Brockway (Penn State), Elise Wheeler (Southern Utah), 9.7875
15. Grace Taylor (Georgia), 9.4625
16. Summer Hubbard (LSU), 9.0500
Balance Beam results
1. Courtney Kupets (Georgia), 9.9875
2. Courtney McCool (Georgia), 9.9500
3. Ashley Preiss (Alabama), Sarah Nagashima (Arkansas), Kristina Baskett (Utah), 9.9000
6. Elise Wheeler (Southern Utah), 9.8750
7. Megan Ferguson (Oklahoma), Melissa Fernandez (Illinois), 9.8375
9. Alex LaChance (Arkansas), 9.8250
10. Ricki Lebegern (Alabama), 9.8000
11. Vanessa Zamarripa (UCLA), 9.7625
Floor Exercise results
1. Courtney Kupets (Georgia), Ashleigh Clare-Kearney (LSU), 9.9500
3. Corey Hartung (Florida), 9.9000
4. Brandi Personett (Penn State), 9.8875
5. Daria Bijak (Utah), 9.8750
6. Mandi Rodriguez (Oregon State), Vanessa Zamarripa (UCLA), 9.8625
8. Brittani McCullough (UCLA), 9.8500
9. Kylee Botterman (Michigan), 9.7000
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TODAY | 8:00pm PTLive