USC Beats Gauchos 4-0 In NCAA First Round
May 8, 2009
Beginning the pursuit of its 17th NCAA title, the No. 8 USC men's tennis team defeated UC Santa Barbara, 4-0, in an NCAA Championships Men's Tennis first-round match at USC's Marks Stadium on Friday (May 8).
USC, a No. 8 seed making its 31st NCAA appearance, improved to 20-5 and advanced to the second round, where it will face first-round winner Minnesota on Saturday at approximately 3 p.m. at Marks Tennis Stadium. UCSB finishes the season at 11-14.
The USC No. 1 doubles tandem of Robert Farah and Steve Johnson easily handled UCSB's Alex Konigsfeldt and Josh Finkelstein, 8-1. But the Trojans had to grind on courts 2 and 3, where the Gauchos clawed to within 7-6 on both. But USC's Abdullah Magdas and Daniel Nguyen locked up the doubles point with an 8-6 win over Scott Hohenstein and Evan Jurgensen and No. 2.
USC got off to a quick start across the board in singles, each of the six Trojan players going up a set quickly. Play slowed during the second sets, but Kecki was able to give USC a 2-0 lead after a 6-1, 6-2 win at No. 4 singles over Max Taylor.
Magdas gave the Trojans a 3-0 lead when he downed Hohenstein at No. 3 singles, 6-0, 6-3. Nguyen clinched USC's first-round win with a 6-1, 6-3 decision at No. 5 singles over Taylor Chavez-Goggin.
(1) Robert Farah-Steve Johnson (USC) def. Alex Konigsfeldt-Josh Finkelstein (UCSB), 8-1
(2) Abdullah Magdas-Daniel Nguyen (USC) def. Scott Hohenstein-Evan Jurgensen (UCSB), 8-6
(3) Matt Kecki-Jaak Poldma (USC) vs. Taylor Chavez-Goggin-Nick Caledonia (UCSB), 7-6 susp.
Order of Finish: 1,2
(1) Robert Farah (USC) vs. Alex Konigsfeldt (UCSB), 6-3, 4-3 susp.
(2) Jaak Poldma (USC) vs. Josh Finkelstein (UCSB) , 6-3, 3-4 susp.
(3) Abdullah Magdas (USC) def. Scott Hohenstein (UCSB), 6-0, 6-3
(4) Matt Kecki (USC) def. Max Taylor (UCSB), 6-1, 6-2
(5) Daniel Nguyen (USC) def. Taylor Chavez-Goggin (UCSB), 6-1, 6-3
(6) Andrew Kells (USC) vs. Mathieu Forget (UCSB), 6-1, 3-4 susp.
Order of Finish: 4,3,5