Bruins are College Station Bound
May 9, 2009
LOS ANGELES - The seventh-seeded UCLA men's tennis team earned its 33rd straight trip to the NCAA Round of 16 on Saturday, registering a 4-0 victory over Hawai'i in a second round match at the Los Angeles Tennis Center. With the win, UCLA (19-4) will face Miami (16-8) next Thursday at 6:00 p.m. (CST) in College Station, Texas. The Hurricanes upset 10th-seeded Florida, 4-3 on Saturday.
The Bruins captured the doubles point on Saturday but the Warriors made them work for it. Hawaii actually took the first match, as Jeff Fitch and Dennis Lajola upset 52nd-ranked Michael Look and Nick Meister, 8-3 at court No. 1. UCLA stormed back to take the next two matches, however, clinching the point when 80th-ranked Amit Inbar and Harel Srugo downed Leo Rosenberg/Andreas Weber, 8-4 at court No. 2.
Look and Meister would make up for their doubles loss, as each turned in solid straight set performances once singles play began. Look was first off at court No. 5, as he lost just one game en route to a 6-0, 6-1 victory over Fitch. Meister followed suit not long after, taking a 6-1, 7-5 win against Phillip Eberhard.
Senior Harel Srugo, who like Look was playing his last collegiate match at the Los Angeles Tennis Center, clinched the win for UCLA at court No. 3, downing Rosenberg, 6-4, 6-4 to send the Bruins to College Station.
UCLA has advanced to at least the round of 16 of every team championship since the team format was adopted in 1977.
NCAA Men's Tennis Championships
Second Round @ Los Angeles (Los Angeles Tennis Center)
May 9, 2009
(7) UCLA def. Hawai'i, 4-0
1. Fitch/Lajola (UH) def. (52) Look/Meister (UCLA), 8-3
2. (80) Amit Inbar/Srugo (UCLA) def. Rosenberg/Weber (UH), 8-4
3. Abid/Seguso (UCLA) def. Craig Faulk/Heinemann (UH), 8-5
UCLA Wins Doubles Point -- Order of Finish: 1, 3, 2
1. (65) Dennis Lajola (UH) led (64) Matt Brooklyn (UCLA), 7-6(3), 2-5 Susp.
2. Andreas Weber (UH) led (49) Haythem Abid (UCLA) 6-4, 3-6, 3-2 Susp.
3. Harel Srugo (UCLA) def. Leo Rosenberg (UH), 6-4, 6-4
4. Holden Seguso (UCLA) led Sascha Heinemann (UH), 6-4, 5-5 Susp.
5. (100) Michael Look (UCLA) def. Jeff Fitch (UH), 6-0, 6-1
6. (107) Nick Meister (UCLA) def. Phillip Eberhard (UH), 6-1, 7-5
* Denotes Clinching Match -- Order of Finish: 5, 6, 3
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TODAY | 6:00pm PTLive
Wed 11/22 | 2:00pm PTLive
Wed 11/22 | 4:00pm PTLive