No. 9 Stanford Victorious Over No. 17 Pepperdine, Headed To NCAA Round of 16
May 9, 2009
STANFORD, Calif. - In front of a raucous home crowd on a perfect day for tennis, the ninth-ranked Stanford men's tennis team avenged its 2008 NCAA Second Round loss to Pepperdine by defeating the Waves 4-1 today at the Taube Family Tennis Center to advance to the 2009 NCAA Round of 16 in College Station, Texas.
The Cardinal earned the all-important doubles point, winning the first two matches in under an hour. No. 40 Richard Wire and Blake Muller rebounded from yesterday's loss, taking down Mahmoud Kamel and Hugh Clarke 8-3 and senior Matt Bruch and sophomore Ted Kelly wrapped up the point with a victory over Alex Llompart and Stuart Keplar, 8-3.
Wire made it 2-0 in singles with his victory over Alejandro Moreno at No. 5, but the Waves responded with a win at No. 2, as No. 44 Omar Altmann was able to hand an unusual defeat to No. 34 freshman Bradley Klahn, 6-3, 6-3.
Muller then put the pressure on Pepperdine, winning at No. 6 singles 6-3, 7-5 over Clarke to put the Cardinal within one victory of heading to Texas A&M for the NCAA Championships. The Waves would not get a chance to answer though, as freshman Ryan Thacher put the match away, beating No. 120 Llompart 6-2, 7-6(2) to send Stanford to the Round of 16 for the first time since 2006.
The Cardinal will now face No. 8 USC, which defeated No. 33 Minnesota 4-0 today. The match will be played on Thursday, May 14, at 10 a.m. PT.
May 9, 2009 - Stanford Calif.
NCAA Men's Tennis Championship - Second Round
No. 9 Stanford 4, Pepperdine 1
1) No. 28 Thacher/Klahn (STAN) led No. 8 Altmann/Beidas (PEPP) 5-5, aban.
2) No. 40 Wire/Muller (STAN) d. Kamel/Clarke (PEPP) 8-3
3) Bruch/Kelly (STAN) d. Llompart/Keplar (PEPP) 8-3
Order of Finish: 2, 3
1) No. 21 Alex Clayton (STAN) drew with No. 35 Bassam Beidas (PEPP) 4-6, 6-3, 1-1, aban.
2) No. 44 Omar Altmann (PEPP) d. No. 34 Bradley Klahn (STAN) 6-3, 6-3
3) Ryan Thacher (STAN) d. No. 120 Alex Llompart (PEPP) 6-2, 7-6(2)*
4) Matt Bruch (STAN) led Mahmoud Kamel (PEPP) 7-6, 3-4, aban.
5) Richard Wire (STAN) d. Alex Moreno (PEPP) 6-3, 6-2
6) Blake Muller (STAN) d. Hugh Clarke (PEPP) 6-3, 7-5
Order of Finish: 5, 2, 6, 3
* denotes clinching match