Washington Eases Past San Diego State In NCAA First Round
May 9, 2009
Washington, in its 11th NCAA appearance and second in a row, defeated San Diego State, 4-0, in an NCAA Championships Women's Tennis first-round match at USC's Marks Stadium on Saturday (May 9).
The Huskies improved to 17-7 while the Aztecs fell to 17-9. Washington, which swept San Diego State, 7-0, in a non-conference match less than a month ago, will face the winner of USC-Fairfield in the second round. The Aztecs made their 21st NCAA appearance in today's loss.
Joyce Ardies and Denise Dy got Washington off to a fast start at No. 1 doubles with an 8-1 win over Holly Bagshaw and Julia Trunk. Aztec freshman sisters Roxanne and Sierra Ellison kept it close against Huskies Venise Chan and Aleksandra Malovic and were tied 4-4 midway through the match. The Ellisons were within 6-5 but could not hold off the Huskies, who won the No. 2 doubles match, 8-5, to clinch the doubles point for Washington.
Smith made quick work of San Diego State's Milana Yusupov at No. 4 singles, giving Washington a 2-0 lead with a 6-0, 6-0 victory.
Malovic battled Sierra Ellison in a hard-fought match at No. 6 singles. After taking the first set 6-3, Malovic went ahead 4-0 in the second. But Ellison responded by tying the set at 4-4 and 5-5 before Malovic ultimately stood her ground and took the second set 7-5 to give the Huskies a 3-0 lead.
At No. 5 singles, Ardies trailed Olivia Colman, 4-5, before rallying to win the first set 7-5. She then swept the second set, 6-0, to score the decisive point for the Huskies in their 4-0 win.
(1) Joyce Ardies-Denise Dy (UW) def. Holly Bagshaw-Julia Trunk (SDSU), 8-1
(2) Venise Chan-Aleksandra Malovic (UW) def. Roxanne Ellison-Sierra Ellison (SDSU), 8-5
(3) Samantha Smith-Lina Xu (UW) vs. Esther Cadua-Emma Cioffi, 6-2 susp.
Order of Finish: 1,2
(1) Venise Chan (UW) vs. Julia Trunk (SDSU), 6-0, 6-5 susp.
(2) Denise Dy (UW) vs. Holly Bagshaw (SDSU), 1-6, 4-5 susp.
(3) Lina Xu (UW) vs. Esther Cadua (SDSU), 6-1, 4-3 susp.
(4) Samantha Smith (UW) def. Milana Yusupov (SDSU), 6-0, 6-0
(5) Joyce Ardies (UW) vs. Olivia Colman (SDSU), 7-5, 6-0
(6) Aleksandra Malovic (UW) vs. Sierra Ellison (SDSU), 6-3, 7-5
Order of Finish: 4,6,5