No. 30 Women's Tennis End Season With Tough Loss to UCLA
May 10, 2009
LOS ANGELES, Calif.--The 30th-ranked Arizona State Women's Tennis team saw their season come to an end on Saturday with a difficult 4-3 loss to the UCLA Bruins in the second round of NCAA Championship play.
Doubles play saw the Devils struggle to catch up to the Bruins as UCLA's Ashley Joelson and Nina Pantic defeated Ashlee Brown and Sianna Simmons 8-2 on court three. On court one Micaeala Hein and Kelcy McKenna were unable to get the better of Andrea Remynse and Yasmin Schnack, falling 8-2. The sole team to lead for the Devils were sisters Laila and Nadia Abdala, who were ahead of Carling Seguso and Stephanie Wetmore 5-4, Susp on court two.
Singles action saw Micaela Hein take down Maya Johansson 6-2, 6-0 on court three, while teammate Ashlee Brown was unable to get the better of Carling Seguso, falling 6-2, 6-3 on court six. In the number five spot freshman Michelle Brycki rallied back for the Devils defeating Ashley Joelson 6-3, 6-0. No. 57 Andrea Remynse upset No. 46 Nadia Abdala 6-3, 6-3 on court two. No. 10 Kelcy McKenna battled it out against Yasmin Schnack in the number one spot, downing the Bruin player 2-6, 6-4, 6-3. Nina Pantic clinched the match for the Bruins, defeating Laila Abdala 4-6, 7-5, 6-0* on court four.
'I was really proud of the way we played,' Head Coach Sheila McInerney said. 'Obviously we didn't do as well in doubles but we rallied back and played very well in singles. We had a chance to win it, there is no question about it, and while we were confident going into today, we fell short. It's a tough way to end the season, but the team put forth a great effort.'
The loss wraps up the team's duel season and they now await the NCAA Individual Tournament after the Team Tournament concludes.
(11) UCLA def. Arizona State, 4-3
1. (3) Remynse/Schnack (UCLA) def. (21) Hein/McKenna (ASU), 8-2
2. (49) L. Abdala/N. Abdala (ASU) led (66) Seguso/Stephanie Wetmore (UCLA), 5-4 Susp.
3. Joelson/Pantic (UCLA) def. Brown/Simmons (ASU), 8-2
UCLA Wins Doubles Point -- Order of Finish: 3, 1
1. (10) Kelcy McKenna (ASU) def. (15) Yasmin Schnack (UCLA), 2-6, 6-4, 6-3
2. (57) Andrea Remynse (UCLA) def. (46) Nadia Abdala (ASU), 6-3, 6-3
3. (102) Micaela Hein (ASU) def. (114) Maya Johansson (UCLA), 6-2, 6-0
4. Nina Pantic (UCLA) def. Laila Abdala (ASU), 4-6, 7-5, 6-0*
5. Michelle Brycki (ASU) def. Ashley Joelson (UCLA), 6-3, 6-0
6. Carling Seguso (UCLA) def. Ashlee Brown (ASU), 6-2, 6-3
* Denotes Clinching Match -- Order of Finish: 3, 6, 5, 2, 1, 4
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TOMORROW | 6:00pm PTLive
Fri 5/26 | 10:30am PTLive
Fri 5/26 | 4:00pm PTLive