Cal V8+ Reaches Semifinal, 2V8+ to Final at IRA Regatta
June 4, 2009
GOLD RIVER, Calif. - California qualified its varsity 8+ boat for Friday's semifinal round on the morning of the opening day of the 10th annual IRA Regatta on Thursday at Lake Natoma. The Golden Bears advanced out of the first varsity 8+ heat with the best time of the morning (5:51.50) to defeat four teams, including second-place Cornell (5:55.96). Cal's second varsity 8+ also won its heat and will advance directly to its Saturday grand final. The Bears' other boats - the novice 8+, open 4+ and varsity 4+ - finished second in their respective heats and will move on to the repechage rounds to try and reach the grand finals of their events.
The varsity 8+ semifinal rounds are slated for an 11:45 a.m. start on Friday.
The Bears' second varsity 8+ posted a time of 6:00.40, the second-best time of the morning, to win its four-team heat, which included second-place Wisconsin (6:09.69). Cal's 2V8+ moves on to the 10:30 a.m. grand final on Saturday. The Bears' 2V8+ finished second in last year's IRA grand final.
Cal lost Thursday's first novice 8+ heat to Harvard, 6:01.80-6:04.10, and will have to try to advance to the grand final via the Friday repechage round, which is scheduled for a 9:36 a.m. start.
The open 4+ battled Wisconsin in the first heat of their event, but the Badgers wound up winning the heat over the second-place Bears, 6:48.60-6:50.85. Cal will move on to the open 4+ repechage round starting at 8:24 a.m. on Friday.
Cal's varsity 4+, rowing in today's second heat, finished a close second to Washington, 6:34.40-6:34.50, after the Bears led most of the way. The V4+ now moves on to the 8:48 a.m. repechage round on Friday.
IRA Regatta - Cal Results from June 4
Men's Varsity 8+ Heat 1
1. California 5:51.50. 2. Cornell 5:55.96. 3. Northeastern 5:56.42. 4. Princeton 6:08.93. 5. Oregon State 6:14.69.
Men's Second Varsity 8+ Heat 1
1. California 6:00.40. 2. Wisconsin 6:09.69. 3. Syracuse 6:14.44. 4. Penn 6:23.46.
Men's Novice 8+ Heat 1
1. Harvard 6:01.80. 2. California 6:04.10. 3. Syracuse 6:11.34. 4. Navy 6:12.03. 5. Oregon State 6:23.09. 6. Gonzaga 6:24.67.
Men's Open 4+ Heat 1
1. Wisconsin 6:48.60. 2. California 6:50.85. 3. Cornell 7:03.81. 4. Oregon State 7:10.76. 5. George Washington 7:21.54.
Men's Varsity 4+ Heat 2
1. Washington 6:34.40. 2. California 6:34.50. 3. Wisconsin 6:49.29. 4. Brown 7:01.30. 5. San Diego 7:25.44.
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TODAY | 2:00pm PTLive
TODAY | 4:00pm PTLive
TODAY | 7:00pm PTLive