Welcome Wednesdays: Meet Alyssa O'Neil
July 29, 2009
The Oregon State volleyball program, under the leadership of fifth-year head coach Taras Liskevych, welcomes six freshmen to the 2009 squad. Alyssa O’Neil, a 5-9 defensive specialist/outside hitter from West Linn, Ore., was the third to sit down to answer questions in a six-part series “Welcome Wednesdays,” where a new member will be featured on www.osubeavers.com. O’Neil led her West Linn squad to the OSAA Class 6A Championship, while tallying a runner-up finish last season. She earned unanimous First Team All-State accolades, while being named Co-Player of the Year.
What do you look forward to the most this upcoming season?
I'm really excited about trying to take my personal game to the next level and just improving upon my game. I'm really looking forward to getting to know all the other girls on the team and the other freshman. The bond between all the girls is so strong, and I am excited to have to opportunity to become part of that.
Which position do you like better, defensive specialist or outside hitter? Why?
Outside hitter had always been my favorite position, but the older I got the bigger the girls on the other team got and it made it a lot harder for me since I'm no giant. I learned to love defense and it soon became my favorite position just because it is such a challenge especially when you get to the higher levels.
What are your personal goals for the season?
My big goal for this season is just becoming a better volleyball player and improving my personal game.
Why Oregon State?
Oregon State has been the school of my dreams since I was a little kid. It was the school that I had planned on attending whether I was playing volleyball or just going as a student. It has a beautiful campus and there is something unique about all the people here. You just get a good vibe from it!
What will you miss most about high school?
The thing I will probably miss most about high school is just all my friends that I won’t get to see anymore.
10 Fun Facts about Alyssa O’Neil
· My nicknames are Alyssa, Lyss or Al.
· The best road trip I've been on was the long drive to Death Valley with my friends and her family in their RV.
· One thing most people don't know about me I use men’s deodorant when playing volleyball.
· My biggest superstition with volleyball is that I can’t wear a bow in my hair.
· My biggest celebrity crush is Taylor Lautner.
· If I could live anywhere in the world I would live in New York.
· If I wasn't playing volleyball I would probably be playing softball.
· My most embarrassing moment on the court would be any of the numerous times that I have tripped on my own feet and fell.
· The first CD I ever owned was a Clay Walker CD.
· I can’t live without my iPod.
See O’Neil and the rest of the team in legendary Gill Coliseum this season by purchasing season tickets, NOW AVAILABLE. For more information, contact the Oregon State Athletic Ticket Office at 1-800-GOBEAVS or visit www.osubeavers.com.
Support Oregon State University Athletics by making your tax deductible donation to the Beaver Athletic Student Fund. For more information follow this link or call 541-737-2370. You can make an “everyday champion.” Follow Beaver Athletics on twitter.
TODAY | 5:00pm PTLive
TODAY | 8:00pm PTLive