Welcome Wednesdays: Meet Dianni Freeman
Aug. 12, 2009
The Oregon State volleyball program, under the leadership of fifth-year head coach Taras Liskevych, welcomes six freshmen to the 2009 squad. Dianni Freeman, a 5-4 defensive specialist from Tigard, Ore., was the fifth to sit down to answer questions in a six-part series “Welcome Wednesdays,” where a new member will be featured on www.osubeavers.com. Freeman comes from an athletic and Beaver Believer family with her father Shawn Freeman playing basketball for Oregon State in 1987-88 and with numerous family members that have attended or are attending Oregon State currently.
What do you look forward to the most this upcoming season?
I am so excited to be on the Oregon State volleyball team, I am looking forward to the first game dressed in orange and black! I also am looking forward to the high level of competition in the Pac-10. It’s what I have always dreamed of.
What are your personal goals for the season?
I would like to be the quickest, best defensive player in the Pac-10 one day. So I definitely have a lot to work to do this season. My main goal as a defensive player, is to NEVER, let the ball hit the floor!
You were a setter in high school. What has been the hardest part of the transition to defensive specialist?
As a setter, I ran the offense and provided leadership for my team. Transitioning into a defensive specialist, I have had to learn how to take the “backseat” and follow the setter’s lead. I have learned that being a libero, you have to have a lot of the same leadership skills because so much is dependent getting the ball to the setter and taking charge of the backcourt.
Did you grow up going to Oregon State volleyball camps?
Yes. Where I grew up, volleyball wasn’t offered in school until high school. So I did attend OSU volleyball camps and started playing my freshman year.
Why Oregon State?
I was born a Beaver. Both of my parents and many of my relatives graduated from OSU. So it’s always been in the family. When I developed a passion for volleyball, I knew that I wanted to play at Oregon State.
What will you miss most about high school?
I will really miss all of my role models, teachers and coaches that I had over the years. They were all amazing people and I will always cherish the memories they allowed me to create.
10 Fun Facts about Dianni Freeman
· My favorite song is You Found Me by The Fray.
· Over the summer, I worked at Forever 21, went to Hawai’i on vacation, went to Younglife camp and worked out.
· My favorite Oregon State athlete is my dad. I have always been proud that he played basketball at Oregon State. He inspired me to want to pursue my dreams and follow in his footsteps as a college athlete.
· One thing most people don’t know about me is I love nature and the wilderness. I also love foreign accents.
· One thing I have to do before I turn 30 is travel to all of the many countries I have dreamed of visiting – France, Spain, Australia, Greece, etc.
· The first CD I ever owned was Oops I Did It Again by Britney Spears.
· If I could be on any reality TV show, it would be Design Star.
· My favorite vacation spot is Hawai’i. I spent 12 days there this summer on the beautiful beaches; it was amazing!
· Before each match, I listen to soothing music on my iPod and visualize my game. Then I turn it to upbeat music to get my excitement and adrenaline flowing!
· My biggest celebrity crush is David Beckham.
See Freeman and the rest of the team in legendary Gill Coliseum this season by purchasing season tickets, NOW AVAILABLE. For more information, contact the Oregon State Athletic Ticket Office at 1-800-GOBEAVS or visit www.osubeavers.com.
Support Oregon State University Athletics by making your tax deductible donation to the Beaver Athletic Student Fund. For more information follow this link or call 541-737-2370. You can make an “everyday champion.” Follow Beaver Athletics on twitter.
TODAY | 1:00pm PTLive
TODAY | 3:00pm PTLive
TODAY | 5:00pm PTLive