Men's Soccer Ties Georgia Southern, 2-2 (2OT)

Sept. 13, 2009

Final Stats

Spokane, Wash. - The Oregon State men's soccer team stays undefeated as it goes the distance against Georgia Southern and comes back with a 2-2 in 2OT Sunday at the Gonzaga/Nike Soccer Classic in Spokane, Wash.

Oregon State faced adversity almost the entire match due to junior defender Chris Miller receiving a red card in the eighth minute of the game which forced the Beavers to play down a man for over 100 minutes.

'Though we're disappointed with the result, I was proud of the effort today,' head coach Steve Simmons said following the game. 'It's very difficult to play over 100 minutes down a man coming off of five games in nine days.'

The Beavers (3-0-2) had a 2-0 lead with twelve minutes to play when Georgia Southern scored two unanswered goals to tie the match and push it into overtime. They had their chances in the two 10 minute overtime periods but could not push anything through.

Sophomore Colin Mitchell picked up his fourth goal of the young season in the 29th minute when Jake Parker crossed the ball to Mitchell who then scored from 10 yards out. It was Parkers first assist of the season.

Sophomore Danny Mwanga scored his fourth goal of the season in the 67th minute on a free kick 22 yards out and straight away. He looped the ball over the wall of defenders and found the right side of the net making it a 2-0 Beaver lead.

Sunday marked the third game in which Mitchell and Mwanga both scored in the same game.

Georgia Southern (0-4-1) got on the board late in the second period when Danny Hall scored on a penalty kick past Beaver goalie Steve Spangler in the 79th minute closing the gap to 2-1.

Georgia Southern added another goal when Joe Madigan crossed it to David Leonard who quickly passed it to Jon Cox who shot from 16 yards and pushed it past Spangler on the right side to tie the game in the 80th minute 2-2.

At the end of regulation it was still 2-2 so it went into overtime. There was not much doing in the first overtime with only one shot coming from Oregon State's Tommy Martin who missed wide right.

The second overtime saw more action but still could not break up the tie. Mwanga had a shot in the final minute of overtime which was blocked by Georgia Southern goalie Mike Gubosh.

'We'll regroup, recover and prepare for next weekend,' Simmons said.

The Beavers now head home for a week before traveling back up north to Seattle, Wash. where they take on Seattle University Saturday Sept. 19 with a 12:30pm start time.

Support Oregon State University Athletics by making your tax deductible donation to the Beaver Athletic Student Fund. For more information follow this link or call 541-737-2370. You can make an 'Everyday Champion' Follow Beaver Athletics on Twitter, Facebook and YouTube. Purchase football season tickets today for another exciting season.

Now on Pac-12 Network
3:00 PM PT

Airing on:

  • Pac-12 Network
Get Pac-12 Networks
Pac-12 Networks Channel Finder