Stanford Baseball Features 10th Best Recruiting Class
Sept. 21, 2009
STANFORD, Calif.-- Stanford Baseball's recruiting class for the 2010 season is ranked 10th by Collegiate Baseball. The Class of 2013 is headlined by infielder Kenny Diekroeger from nearside Woodside, who was a second round pick of the Devil Rays and outfielder Jeremy Stewart, regarded by some as the best prep athlete in Colorado history. Following close behind the duo is righthanders Mark Appel (San Ramon) and Chris Jenkins (Westfield, N.J.) and third baseman Stephen Piscotty (Pleasanton, Calif.).
Diekroeger hit an impressive .586 during his senior season at Menlo High, earning prep All-America honors by Baseball America, while Stewart was also a top-100 prospect by Baseball America who could have played Division-I football or basketball. Stewart hit .544 with 56 RBIs as a senior.
The freshmen class also features prep All-Americans, Appel, a 6-5 righthander who went 4-0 with an 0.90 ERA last spring, and Jenkins, who was a 6-7 righthander who struck out 82 over 49.1 innings. Piscotty, a third baseman and pitcher, hit .450 as the East Bay Athletic League MVP, while also going 8-3 as Amador Valley High's No. 1 starter.
Others joining the squad in alphabetical order are: Massachusetts righthander Sahil Bloom; 6-8 Carlsbad lefthander and prep All-American Garrett Hughes; Iowa State Player of the Year and righthander Dean McArdle; Los Angeles all league outfielder Gavin McCourt, the son of Dodgers owners Frank and Jamie McCourt; Rancho Palo Verdes catcher Trevor Penny, the Bay League's MVP; Illinois all-state first baseman and outfielder Justin Ringo; all league middle infielder Ryan Sakowski from nearby Sacred Heart Prep; and La Canada all-state infielder Eric Smith.
HERE IS A BREAKDOWN OF THE INCOMING CLASS
Mark Appel, RHP, 6-5, 195 lbs. (San Ramon, Calif./Monte Visa HS)
- prep All-American, one of the top 200 potential draftees of the 2009 draft by MLB Scouting, one of the top-10 pitchers listed by Baseball America following the 2008 Area Codes... 4-0, 0.90 ERA over 31 innings, including 24 consecutive scoreless innings... 15th round pick of the Tigers.
Sahil Bloom, RHP 6-2, 205 lbs. (Weston, Mass./Weston HS)
- Dual County League MVP... three-time league all-star.... mother was born in India, making him one of the few Indian players in the country.
Kenny Diekroeger, IF 6-2, 200 lbs. (Woodside, Calif./Menlo HS)
- Hit ..586 as a senior before a knee injury, playing in 18 games prior with a 1.069 slugging percentage and .692 on-base average... league MVP and prep All-American by Baseball America... second round pick of Devil Rays.
Garrett Hughes, LHP/1B, 6-8, 250 lbs. (Carlsbad, Calif./La Costa Canyon HS)
- all-CIF... set school record for home runs... two-time first team all-league... Under Armour prep All-American.
Chris Jenkins, RHP, 6-7, 220 lbs. (Westfield, N.J./Westfield HS)
- Under Armour prep All-American... two-time all-conference... second team all-state... 0.71 ERA over 49.1 innings, going 7-1 with 82 strikeouts and just 18 walks.
Dean McArdle, RHP, 5-10, 170 lbs. (Sioux City, Iowa/Sioux City North HS)
- Iowa Baseball's Player of the Year... two-time all-state... four-time all-district... went 38-8 over his varsity career.
Gavin McCourt, OF, 5-9, 160 lbs. (Los Angeles, Calif./Harvard-Westlake HS)
- three-year varsity letterman in baseball and three-sport athlete in football and soccer... first team all-league... son of Dodgers owners Frank and Jamie McCourt... 39th round pick of the Red Sox.
Trevor Penny, C, 6-0, 190 lbs. (Rancho Palo Verdes, Calif./Rancho Palo Verdes HS)
--Bay League Most Outstanding Player... hit .411 with 22 runs and 29 RBIs with a .633 slugging percentage as a senior.... threw out 70 percent of would-be base-stealers... grandfather was Joe Liscio, a MLB trainer for 32 years...
Stephen Piscotty, 3B/RHP (Pleasanton, Calif./Amador Valley HS)
- All East Bay team...named the East Bay Athletic League MVP... hit close to .450 with more than 30 RBIs and went 8-3 as the team's No. 1 starter.
Justin Ringo, 1B/OF, 6-1, 195 lbs. (Palos Park, Ill../Amos Alonzo Stagg HS)
- Two-time all-state and four-time all-conference... 2008 prep All-American... school-record .461 career average with 128 RBIs, 120 runs and 103 walks... hit .533 as a junior with 15 home runs.
Ryan Sakowski, SS/2B, 5-11, 185 lbs. (Menlo Park, Calif./Sacred Heart Prep.)
- first team all-league in baseball hit .506 as a senior... also a first team all-league shooting guard and quarterback
Eric Smith, IF, 6-1, 190 lbs. (La Canada, Calif./La Canada HS)
- Three-time all-Rio Hondo League... all-state... had school's single-season record .628 in 2008 and set record with a .724 on-base percentage... made just two errors in three years as the starting shortstop (2008, 2009) and third baseman (2007) for a .992 fielding percentage... hit .505 over his career.
Jacob Stewart, OF/RHP, 6-2, 195 lbs. (Fort Collins, Colo./Rocky Mountain HS)
- Hit 544 with 12 home runs and 56 RBIs .... noted as a Division-I caliber football and basketball player... noted as the best prep player in Colorado history.... top-100 prospect by Baseball America... 14th round pick of the Phillies.
TOP-15 RECRUITING CLASSES
2. Arizona State
3. Louisiana State
4. Central Florida
5. CS Fullerton
7. Texas Christian
9. Miami (Fla.)
14. North Carolina
15. Mississippi State
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TOMORROW | 6:00pm PTLive
TOMORROW | 8:00pm PTLive
Sat 1/20 | 12:30pm PTLive