Several Matches Announced for Saturday's ASU Wrestling Inter-Squad
Oct. 8, 2009
TEMPE – For the second week in a row, the Arizona State University wrestling team will be holding inter-squad matches beginning at 10 a.m. inside the Riches Wrestling Complex on campus. The matches, which are open to the public, are being used to help the Sun Devils prepare for the upcoming season that begins on November 13 at Pac-10 foe UC Davis.
Each week, all members of the team will compete in three or four matches and some very interesting match-ups are sure to emerge with this weekend’s top pairing falling into that category. Many of the starters from last year will be taking on challengers that they will face later in the month at the Maroon and Gold Dual (October 30), which will serve as the team’s wrestle-off for this year’s starting positions.
This week, several rematches from last weekend -- which also are potential wrestle-off matches that will be held at the end of the month -- are on the schedule as well as several more matches pitting starters at similar weight classes faces one another. Once again, Anthony Robles and Ben Ashmore will face one another as the battle for the starting nod at 125 pounds continues to heat up while the heavyweights of Erik Nye and Imanibom Etukeren also will face off once again in a match of last season’s two starters.
Other top matches scheduled for this Saturday will include:
- Chris Drouin vs. Vicente Varela (141 All-American vs. 149 starter)
- Te Edwards vs. Michael Swigart (both started at 157 last year)
- Kyle DeBerry vs. Te Edwards (165 starter vs. 157 starter)
- Eric Starks vs. Raymond Jordan (174 starter vs. volunteer coach and former 2x All-American)
- Jake Meredith vs. Jason Trulson (184 starter vs. former Pac-10 runner-up at 197 for ASU)
- Michael Hawkins vs. Anthony Pike
- Kalin Goodsite vs. Jared Stephens
Check back on thesundevils.com each week in October to find out what top matches will be scheduled for that Saturday morning.